AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Converted my SAIGA to a AK103 5.5mm side folder

I bought this unconverted SAIGA from a co-worker 2 years ago for $350. He bought the SAIGA NIB in 2001 and only shot less than 500 rounds. Since the SAIGA has been sitting and collecting dust for the past 18-19 years, he decided to sell it to me.

Once I collected all the necessary parts for the SF conversion. I started the project. It was a fun weekend project.

Parts used.

1. Izhmash Russian 5.5mm side folding rear trunnion set with Izzy polymer hand guards and folding butt stock and rivets.
2. Russian front sight block.
3. Russian 90 degree gas block.
4. Russian trigger guard and dimpled mag latch.
5. Russian hand guard retainer.
6. U.S. made Bullet Guide from Carolina Shooters.
7. Tapco G2 single hook FCG.
8. AK Builder pistol grip reinforcement plate.
9. EG RPK rear sight
10. Cerakoted in Graphite Black by TENEX INC., in Blaine, WA.

Installing the rounded bullet guide.

Removing the factory trigger guard as well as shaping/Trimming the rear receiver to accommodate the 5.5mm side folding rear trunnion. Also, removing the existing rear trunnion and welding up the old rivet holes.

Done!

It's time to WELD SHUT the old rivet holes around the receiver.

Filing down and evening the weld spots around the receiver as well as drilling and dimpling the new rivet holes.

Drilling new rivet holes and shaping the rear latch for the 5.5mm folding rear trunnion.

Rear latch fits perfect!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Spot welding the reinforcement pistol grip plate. I KNOW, that the one I'm installing is for the UF trunnion.. But since I have this in my spare bin, I might as well use it. Only difference are the two access holes for the UF pins. Other than that, it works as the same purpose and you won't be able to see those two access holes once you install the pistol grip.. lol..

Installing the trigger guard.

Riveting the 5.5mm rear trunnion.

I needed a longer rivet for the rear side of side rail mount rivet hole so I used a center support rivet.

Riveting done!

The 5.5mm Izzy Triangle Stock also fits!

It's time to work on the front latch and pin using the front template that I made.

Done!

Installing the new Russian Gas Block and Russian Front Sight Block.

Before pressing and drilling the new pin holes. You want to making sure that both the GB and FSB are not canted.

Drilling the pin holes.

Oh what the hell, I might as well re-crown the muzzle while I'm doing the front end.

All done! Now it's time so send it to my buddy in TENEX INC for cerakote!

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to document your work so effectively, interesting for non-builders too!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great! How’d you do the front trunnion for the latch pin?
I made a template for the front latch using one of the SF 80% receivers a guide to make the front latch template. See photo below of the my SLR106UR pistol that I converted using the front latch template that I made.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts