AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning guys. As I might have mentioned somewhere else on this board, I am getting ready to launch a small business next spring, and part of my newest venture is going to be some AK related activities. I posted a thread previously asking a hypothetical question to home builders about an idea of mine, but I decided to do another thread where I just pick yall's brains about ideas that I come up with and weather they are feasible.

My first question concerns build tools. Could there possibly be an un-tapped market for the rental of AK build tools. Bending and riveting jigs cost a little bit, and a lot of folks might be curious about the home building aspect of the culture but not have or be inclined to invest the resources to buy the tooling, so in yall's opinion, would maybe an AK building tool rental option be something that might create interest?
another thing that comes to mind is maybe like a mini members only type bazzaar where a sunday afternoon event is held where AK folks meet up in person and buy, sell, trade, etc AK related stuff, maybe have some raffles and contests, and maybe some shiner bocks and bbq after the event?
And in the online realm, maybe a newsletter with a dear abby style column for AK related questions and a little comic strip?

I know some might roll their eyes at a thread like this, but my pops told me that the most dumbass question is the one you dont ask and that weather you like the answer or not, after you get it, you are less ignorant than before.
all input is appreciated

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd be interested in an AK swap meet. SW Missouri. Tool rental is always a good idea, for the user, probably not so much for the guy who own the tools...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote "And in the online realm, maybe a newsletter with a dear Abby style column for AK related questions"

I think a newsletter would be fun, but it would be a lot of work for someone..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This isnt necessarily a question but kind of an observation. There is a very distinct line between 2 different groups of people who would be in the market for AK building tools and parts and kits. The first group is extremely knowledgeable about a wide array of variants part for part and view their home builds as art or craft. These are the guys that will spend the big bucks on AK stuff but it has to be the right AK stuff. They have little to no patience for shoddy workmanship, cheap knock offs, or anything that comes off as "its just as good". The other group of potential customers are people who think it might be cool to build a real AK that goes bang for real just like they had in red dawn, boyz in the hood, rambo or heartbreak ridge. They arent going to spend the kind of money or time on AK builds . In fact, a pretty big number of them wont complete a build. SOme will catch the bug, others might build a couple etc.
The first group is a lot tougher nut to crack, but well worth it. The second group, IMO is going to be reached by advertising/promotion outside of Kalash enthusiast circles, and on cheap product.
AR's are more popular to build, at least around here, in part because of the lower cost of the initial investment.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think there are definitely some people who would love to just rent the tools. Actually, I know there are. Problem is how do you make sure you get the tools back? Sorry to say, even in the 2A and AK "community" there are people who would screw you over on it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think there are definitely some people who would love to just rent the tools. Actually, I know there are. Problem is how do you make sure you get the tools back? Sorry to say, even in the 2A and AK "community" there are people who would screw you over on it.
well, I would probably do it at my personal discretion or on basis of a small deposit

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could do via PPFF, the send you the value of the item plus shipping, you mail it, if and when they mail back, you return 75% of the collateral less shipping.
Only real problem is AK build tools only last a certain amount of builds before they’re trash. At least the toth tool barrel install and populating tool does. Drill bits are also cashed after a couple builds as well. Things like rivet jaws and headspace guages last forever though.

·
Technical Advisor
15,610 Posts
Part of the problem is that people who know how to build AK's and/or use the tools., already own the tools.

Newbies trying to build., without a press, or punches, or even shop hamers or files are not gonna be knowledgeable enough to know what or how to use the tools.

People past have rented out barrel threading tools.
But even that got old and parts worn or screwed up.

One can purchase the threading set and die handle for $60 and then sell it when done for $50 +/- and move along.

Build parties were a pretty big thing until some regulatory changes and expensive kits got in the way.

Kind of a tough and small and much more costly building environment these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would add a third "group" of builders out there. I've built a pile of ARs and like what I've done, but it's getting boring. I'm not looking to build a cheap rifle nor am I looking to build an (almost) exact copy of a military rifle. I'm building a modern race gun.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Good for you for your forward thinking. I think the tool rental is a good idea. Personally, I would be more likely to buy my own tools, but many people simply don't want to spend the money. (or don't have the money to spend)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can’t really see a market for tool rentals. Not only are they expensive but also heavy. Paying shipping is no fun. Your expense formula makes me wonder why a person wouldn’t just save himself the trouble and buy them himself and sell afterwards? Rentals on this type of equipment might work on a local level through a shop but I can’t see it working through the mail.

The online tutorial is good but don’t we already have that?

I tell you what would be nice. A shop that permitted the use of a kiln for heat treating. I know you can rent them at pottery shops but has anyone tried renting there and bringing in receivers? Lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can’t really see a market for tool rentals. Not only are they expensive but also heavy. Paying shipping is no fun. Your expense formula makes me wonder why a person wouldn’t just save himself the trouble and buy them himself and sell afterwards? Rentals on this type of equipment might work on a local level through a shop but I can’t see it working through the mail.

I tell you what would be nice. A shop that permitted the use of a kiln for heat treating. I know you can rent them at pottery shops but has anyone tried renting there and bringing in receivers? Lol.

Yes I think your right about shipping, the USPS flat rate Priority Mail shipping has gotten out of sight price wise..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts