AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure everyone who posts in this section is intimately familiar with the "khyber sidefolder" triagular stock that on many khyber's,which is also the stadard stock on one of the 5.45mm paratrooper models.
Ive seen a few in pics and once IRL, and they dont look like a particularly complex part, and as an aspiring machinist, I have one question
Does anyone here know anyone or maybe themselves, who have made their own Khyber sidefolder. I know they have them on the market, but building one myself sounds like an interesting and challenging experience.
so please feel free to comment on difficulties, equipment you need, anything related to building those types of stocks.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i assume you mean a construction of a stock itself and hinged trunnion that will connect the stock to the receiver?

so trunnion would be most machining-intensive part. i see no way of fabricating it it without a vertical mill. that is if you wanna go for a clone of the original. as well you also might need a lathe to machine hinge axis pin, latch pin and locking piece.

although i can see how all this can be accomplished with just a bunch of bent sheetmetal pieces all welded together. For tools some pliers, vise, regular stock angle and round steel, drill, welder and dremmel or hacksaw and files. it won't look as pretty as original but it'll be functional. interesting challenge if you got some time on your hands.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i assume you mean a construction of a stock itself and hinged trunnion that will connect the stock to the receiver?

so trunnion would be most machining-intensive part. i see no way of fabricating it it without a vertical mill. that is if you wanna go for a clone of the original. as well you also might need a lathe to machine hinge axis pin, latch pin and locking piece.

although i can see how all this can be accomplished with just a bunch of bent sheetmetal pieces all welded together. For tools some pliers, vise, regular stock angle and round steel, drill, welder and dremmel or hacksaw and files. it won't look as pretty as original but it'll be functional. interesting challenge if you got some time on your hands.
I have access to a bridgeport

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I have access to a bridgeport
well, in that case it shouldn't be too hard for you. there will be a bunch of setup and several operations involved just because not very simple part but definitely can be done.

i had plans to make a couple when these became unobtainium for period of few years some time ago ago, but before i got to it, ak-builder had complete stock sets for sale at reasonable enough price to discourage me from making these from scratch. so i scrapped the plans and reused most of the bar-stock for other things. I only wanted to make trunnions though, not entire set with all the parts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, in that case it shouldn't be too hard for you. there will be a bunch of setup and several operations involved just because not very simple part but definitely can be done.

i had plans to make a couple when these became unobtainium for period of few years some time ago ago, but before i got to it, ak-builder had complete stock sets for sale at reasonable enough price to discourage me from making these from scratch. so i scrapped the plans and reused most of the bar-stock for other things. I only wanted to make trunnions though, not entire set with all the parts.
thanks for th input, bud

·
Registered
588 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Honestly, I don't think there is a "right way" to do it. Everyone I have seen was different.

Use photos of an original Soviet/Bulgarian, and your imagination.

Remember, "Khyber Pass" means everything from proper Soviet ere weapons customized in a modern machine shop, to stuff made on a dirt floor using bare feet as a vise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts