AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what's the little square of metal for?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jacques said:
I asked myself that same question yesterday. And I read it somewhere here, I just can't find where. :sad:
Thanks Jacques, I actually found it while sifting through a bunch of searched threads. I believe it's used to set the head space on the tight side to compensate for set back of the lugs??

·
Registered
775 Posts
SA58 said:
Jacques said:
I asked myself that same question yesterday. And I read it somewhere here, I just can't find where. :sad:
Thanks Jacques, I actually found it while sifting through a bunch of searched threads. I believe it's used to set the head space on the tight side to compensate for set back of the lugs??
SA somewhat got it. Its just for break in factor. .004 tight is a good idea IMHO. You choose what you wanna do. Its included if you would like to use it, thats all its there for.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Hmmm. Don't quite understand Guys. WHere does this .004 shim go during the process?

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
I fail to see how putting a shim anywhere can tighten headspace. If you put a shim in anywhere that will affect headspace at all it will simply make it looser.

·
Registered
493 Posts
obiwanbonjovi said:
I fail to see how putting a shim anywhere can tighten headspace. If you put a shim in anywhere that will affect headspace at all it will simply make it looser.
Agree 100%.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just a guess guys,,, but if you put the shim in front of the the bolt locking lug (that will hold the bolt open a bit), you will need to press the barrel in .004" farther........

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
gunguyr said:
Just a guess guys,,, but if you put the shim in front of the the bolt locking lug (that will hold the bolt open a bit), you will need to press the barrel in .004" farther........
It won't hold the bolt back any farther than the barrel will push it back.

·
Registered
493 Posts
As stated earlier....

A shim can only increase headspace. It cannot take away what is not there already.

·
Registered
775 Posts
oksooner said:
As stated earlier....

A shim can only increase headspace. It cannot take away what is not there already.
Ok,
No it does not, it makes it tighter. Placed under the locking cam, it holds it up .004", which means its gonna be .004" tight cause they are not engaged all the way when you set them to a go guage. You can use any method you like, its there if you want to use it.

[email protected]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Rapid Fire said:
Ok,
Placed under the locking cam, it holds it up .004", which means its gonna be .004" tight cause they are not engaged all the way when you set them to a go guage.
[email protected]
Ahhhhh....

That makes sense. :cool:

Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts