AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt Anaconda is being made again. Available in 6” and 8” barrel lengths. $1500 retail.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I've got one I bought years ago new with a 4" barrel. It was a cannon...I sent it back to Colt and had a factory custom barrel port job done on it and boy it sure makes a big difference. It tamed the recoil down to like a 357 magnum and blow flames out the ports about a foot high. You could feel the conclusion hit you in the face. Not bad to shoot now but a little deafening.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was hoping they would re-issue the 4" Anaconda in 44mag. Keep in mind Colt also made these in .45LC also for the first run. I knew the person in charge at Colt that developed these. Unfortunately, he passed away about 20yrs ago.....

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Cool news. Even cooler if you are a Colt fan.

Don't get me wrong Colt has put out some solid pistols. I grew up in a S&W family.

I prefer an old school pre zit S&W model 19, 66, 586 or 686. Lol if you will, but even my nearly 80 year old mom carries a K frame daily.

Ironic my ccw is a Glock.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I would be concerned about the quality of what they are doing today but i must admit I always wanted one.

Sounds like the barrel ports make a big difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would be concerned about the quality of what they are doing today but i must admit I always wanted one.

Sounds like the barrel ports make a big difference.
Keep in mind that Colt is now owned by CZ. So the quality should improve.
Personally, I would also like to see Colt make another run of 10mm Delta Elite Gold Cups.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Did that deal go thru? I heard it was in the works.

Best thing to happen to Colt in a long time.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
A few weeks back we were invited in to visit the Colt manufacturing facility, all 300,000 square feet of it.
The walk thru took about 2 hours, and was quite fascinating.
They are creating about 50,000 feet of space for CZ manufacturing.
I also saw the area's that are ear-marked for new machinery.
One of our last stops was the new area where the Pythons and Anaconda's are being made, and the manager of those product lines was on hand.
I saw a few racks of the Anaconda's and I immediately wanted one!
There is a lot going on at Colt, and most importantly APEX will continue to carry the parts that they manufacture.

Richard

·
Registered
737 Posts
Back in the day I picked up a S&W 29 with a 6 inch barrel. Dirty Harry special.

That has been the only gun I ever fired that hurt my wrist. Two days after I shot it.

Decided then and there that 357 Mag was my limit.

·
Super Moderator
26,404 Posts
Keep in mind that Colt is now owned by CZ. So the quality should improve.
Personally, I would also like to see Colt make another run of 10mm Delta Elite Gold Cups.
Hopefully your correct, because their quality has been spotty for the past few years. How many times has this happened to Colt now? Five, six times?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully Colt’s quality increases and maybe prices come down some. Colt is back to making ARs again. Now that CZ owns them, maybe Colt will innovate and come out with some new guns.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got one I bought years ago new with a 4" barrel. It was a cannon...I sent it back to Colt and had a factory custom barrel port job done on it and boy it sure makes a big difference. It tamed the recoil down to like a 357 magnum and blow flames out the ports about a foot high. You could feel the conclusion hit you in the face. Not bad to shoot now but a little deafening.
I have never shot a .44 Magnum.

Porting does help. I have a Taurus M450 .45 Colt with titanium frame. It is lighter than a steel Smith J-frame. It is ported with ribber grips. The porting reduces muzzle rise but it feels like being punched in the hand when shooting.

Reactions: Gman

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I have never shot a .44 Magnum.

Porting does help. I have a Taurus M450 .45 Colt with titanium frame. It is lighter than a steel Smith J-frame. It is ported with ribber grips. The porting reduces muzzle rise but it feels like being punched in the hand when shooting.
Shooting a 44 mag is pretty fierce, before mine was ported you had to really hang on to it with two hands. The muzzle rise would bring it over your head. Since the port job it doesn’t kick or rise as much but the blast increased. Differently ear plugs are needed or they would ring for days.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Back in the day I picked up a S&W 29 with a 6 inch barrel. Dirty Harry special.

That has been the only gun I ever fired that hurt my wrist. Two days after I shot it.

Decided then and there that 357 Mag was my limit.
I used to shoot about a dozen rounds of 44 Mag before I would get the "Yips" and start anticipating recoil and have to put it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts