AK Rifles banner

Coloring in letters

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Angel King 
#1 ·
Whats the best way to do this with something I can buy at Wal Mart? I used fingernail polish but it's starting to come out. Also, whats the best way to remove the excess without removing the coloring in the letters (they're not super deep)?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
China marker or use a regular ol' crayon. COlor over and outside the letters onto the metal around. Use your fingernail to scratch off the big excess. Use the single side of a t-shirt or paper towel to get off the thin excess left on the high metal.
No big deal It's EASY. :mrgreen: Use yellow, gold , or different colors on different metal finishes if you want.

#4 ·
Yeah, mine here either. May have to go to Office Max/Depot, Staples, some big office supply place. They are quite cheap. I just used a crayon since it was here and handy. :mrgreen:

In the movie "Rough Riders" that came out long ago (about Teddy Roosevelt & his men on San Juan Hill) there was, IIRC, an 1891 Argentine with the receiver markings done in gold or yellow. Looked really good.

#5 ·
If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, they have white 'china marker' pencils in the art supplies section for about $1 each. China Marker = Laquer stick.

#6 ·
China Marker = Laquer stick
aka "grease pencil" as well. Thanks for the reminder, Dawg. :grin:

#11 ·
I found an old china marker in the drawer the other day,worked great,and it was NOT made in China. As for Hillbillies, I too was born in Ca. and grew up in Fl. They used to call us Red necks. I moved to Va. to learn how to be a real Hillbilly, but was told I have the wrong Va. [W.Va.]Great site=great people

#13 ·
At least now it will be best NOT to stay within the lines. :mrgreen:

#19 ·
I tried the liquid paper. For me, it didn't work because the liquid dried way too fast and not only painted the letters, but the surrounding too and alcohol would hardly remove it. I think I have a different brand of whiteout than you used.

I think Cryons would work great, but I don't have one so I invented a new method.

Quick dry wall putty. You know the stuff you buy and it's pink and dried in a minutes or less to white. It fills in as it's meant to, and when you wipe the excess, the letters are filled and bright white. Cleans up with water and does the job okay. We'll see how long it lasts but it looks durable enough for a kitchen remedy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.