AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my CMP carbine today. Mailed everything in on 15 July and she showed up today. She is a Quality Hardware service grade, SN 15785xx. I haven't had time to get to details, but here's a pic. On a quick glance, the wood has been sanded (evident sanding marks), no cartouches...the handguard is much darker and looks like it came from a different stock. I will go over the metal later if anyone is interested. Bore is sweet. Shiny with lots of life in her.

I was surprised that there was no magazine with it. I would like to get some period magazines and a period sling. Was going to start looking on GB to see what I can find.

I have Craig Reisch's book on carbines and was getting ready to do some homework.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It does appear at Arsenal rebuilt they changed that stock to Birch M2 style. The hand guard is Walnut. This is fairly common to see. You can get a nice Walnut M2 stock from Reece Surplus for about $60 that will match it nicely. This is what I did with mine.

Looks like a real nice Quality Hardware. And no, they are pretty clear that they do not come with a Magazine. Stick to the USGI 15 rounders if you can. They are still pretty available but are going up in price.

Here are a couple shots of mine in the stock it came with and then in the stock I replaced it with.

Birch Stained stock

The Walnut I got from Reece Surplus (after cleaning and refinish)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Philip, thanks for the info. Your walnut looks sweet.

I have to get some ammo, a couple of mags and then to the range she will go. I was surprised how lite it is (advertised at 5.5lbs)...
I will probably leave the stock as is for now, but that walnut looks nice.

I gave her a quick once over and it has a Rockola barrel. The only other markings I could find were an 'M' on the mag release, what looks to be 'AMCO' on the barrel band, and 'SA' on the rear sight. Other than that its pretty devoid of marks. I am happy with it, and can't wait to get it to the firing line.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
There will be a ton of other markings on the individual components.

Front sight
Trigger Housing
Recoil plate
Slide
Hammer
Trigger
Sear
Bolt
Firing pin
Extractor
Rear sight
Barrel
Mag catch
Handguard
Barrel band
Magazines
Safety
Stock usually marked in sling recess
Sometimes gas piston is marked
Sometimes buttplate is marked

Head on over to m1carbineforum.com to learn about your new carbine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link...I'll have to disassemble it when I get some time and look at the other components. Like my HRA Garand thats sitting in the safe....

Time...anyone have any extra they wanna sell me?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
****** said:
Philip, thanks for the info. Your walnut looks sweet.

I have to get some ammo, a couple of mags and then to the range she will go. I was surprised how lite it is (advertised at 5.5lbs)...
I will probably leave the stock as is for now, but that walnut looks nice.

I gave her a quick once over and it has a Rockola barrel. The only other markings I could find were an 'M' on the mag release, what looks to be 'AMCO' on the barrel band, and 'SA' on the rear sight. Other than that its pretty devoid of marks. I am happy with it, and can't wait to get it to the firing line.
Yep, inside is a treasure trove of parts. You might just find about anything in there. I, personally, like to see a part from as many manufacturers as I can in there. Really... it really makes is a interesting piece when you think about it. Sort of tells the whole story of them.

Very light and makes a great little house protector too. They point and shoot so naturally it is amazing.

Me am not a big fan of Birch. But many others are. And I will say this, your Birch is nicer than mine was. I just am a Fan of nice Walnut. I could live with your Birch stock though. You can see that mine was uglier than yours is for sure. Yours has a real nice pattern to it. Mine was simply just blotchy and not appealing at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts