AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
carb850 said:
How do the clear waffle magazines compare to thier colored counter parts?
you mean these?

they do just fine,...i left one mag loaded up for just under two months,....went to the range the other day and bumped it without a hitch.

these semi-clear/green-ish waffles have metal re-enforcements molded into them for strength,....i think all the ploy mags have this though.

now there is another type of clear mag,..which is more of a colorless clear plastic,.. i have heard that the will get cracks from being stored with ammo loaded for long periods of time,...but i can not say this for sure as i have never gotten my hands on them.

on another note,...they are just about the coolest thing in the mag world,..alest to me anyway,......however,...these are even more expensive that the regular waffle mags like these (black, plum, green)

came across this picture when shopping for mags for my SA-M5s

enjoy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice collection of mags.

So the clear ones you have pictured do have the metal re-enforcements?

·
Super Moderator
10,317 Posts
carb850 said:

The "clear" 5.56 Bulgys only have a metal insert for the front and back locking lugs and do not have the steel liner for the top of the mag sides.

Hootbro

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Hootbro said:
carb850 said:

The "clear" 5.56 Bulgys only have a metal insert for the front and back locking lugs and do not have the steel liner for the top of the mag sides.

Hootbro

ummm im thinking these do,..at least around the lips,..lugs and front of the mag,....

ill try and take some more pictures tomorrow,....i ate way to much watching the game and i am feeling pretty lazy now.

Travis,...you should have seen them when they where all loaded with
SS-109,...it made me giggle like a little girl.

now theres mags have been droped,..fallen off of the range table,...tossed around and they held up just fine,...however i do take grat care not to abuse them the way i do the other mags i have only becaue if one where to break it would be hard to find a replacement,..and very expensive. (about $50.00 per mag cheapest i've found)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
G21forme said:
Does anyone have a good source for those mags? I have been building up my romy with new furniture and those are just what I need. I have found some black bulgy mags but those are just so unique I gotta get some.
just look around online,..anywhere that sells AK stuff. but be fore warned a set of 4 or 5 can easialy go for $300,..i did good finding mine for about 50 bucks each,...and i got one free with the rifle.

they are out there,..but hard to find and very F-ing expensive. which is why im gonna stash these somewhere safe,.. and get some black waffles.

so be perpared to drop some coin if you want a whole set.

you have a romy in .223?.. i always thought they where 5.45x39 or 7.62x39,...learn something new everyday.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
I have been told, although I cannot confirm this, that the reason clear mags often crack while the colored ones do not is that the clear ones are more susceptible to breakdown by UV rays, which makes the plastic brittle over time. The colored ones are protected by the dyes in them UV rays cannot affect the plastic as the dye blocks the UV rays) and thus they remain more felxible and do not brittle as quickly.

I guess the easy test of this would be to load a clear and a colored mag and leave them in the dark for a few months along with a clear and a colored mag out in the open.

Sorry, only metal mags for me, so someone else will have to destructively test their mags. ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
What were these going for at K-Var when they had them?

Are there any sources (other than off this board or another) for the black waffles?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Teutonic said:
What were these going for at K-Var when they had them?

Are there any sources (other than off this board or another) for the black waffles?
Yeah go to k-var 30's 18.00 and 40's for 30.00
That's the only place I know of right now ...

DON'T BUY THE U.S WAFFLE MAGS !!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just bought a bundle of black bulgys (say that 3 times real fast) from K-VAR, 17.99 per...seemed like a decent price. that was just a few hours ago...

·
Registered
21 Posts
The clear ones are proabally polycarbonate and the colored ones are proabally a thermoset plastic.

Do not clean polycarbonate magazines with anything harsher than soap and water and re oil the inserts and spring.

Polycarbonate does not like certain solvents. Not even a little. Like alcohols.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts