AK Rifles banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my last trip to the range with my 2000 SAR1 (500 more rounds) I probably surpassed 5000 rounds. I decided to clean the bolt for the first time so I dropped it into a jar of Hoppes #9 and let it sit for a few weeks. The bottom of the jar has all sorts of silt (carbon?) that had worked its way into the bolt. Not that it wasn't working well enough without the bath, it still surprised me how much crap worked its way into the firing pin/extractor and spring area. I've had a Winchester 190 (my first gun) for nearly 30 years. The hardest bolt I've ever encountered to put back in after taking it out, I pulled it out last year for the second time since about 1980 and dropped it in a jar of Hoppes #9. The powder, grime and lead fouling(?) left an eighth of an inch of sludge at the bottom of the jar. Man did it work better after the cleaning. The American AK, my model 190 Winchester has countless thousands of rounds through it without incident. I can't even guess how many bricks of .22 rimfire have passed through that barrel. Sad note...Winchester (New Haven, Connecticut) is done. Our local news reported thae Smith&Wesson may purchase the plant. A S&W long gun?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If I recall correctly S&W is now making ARs for LE and certain military uses...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts