AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For cleaning the gas tube on an AK, which would work better, a 12g bore brush or 20g?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
New 20 ga. brush or a used 12 ga. brush.

If you use a new 12 ga. brush, nothing bad will happen, it will just be down sized for the tube.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Templar said:
New 20 ga. brush or a used 12 ga. brush.

If you use a new 12 ga. brush, nothing bad will happen, it will just be down sized for the tube.
+1 This is what I use. (Old 12 Gauge)

·
Registered
742 Posts
sorry to drag out of topic, but what's the best for cleaning the gas port?(even thru it doesn't seem to need any cleaning)

BTW thanks for the info on cleaning the gas tube.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Vashthestanbeto said:
sorry to drag out of topic, but what's the best for cleaning the gas port?(even thru it doesn't seem to need any cleaning)

BTW thanks for the info on cleaning the gas tube.
Pipe Cleaners work great for that.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use an old tooth brush... works great, also for getting in those hard to reach places in the receiver.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I use neither shotgun brushes. I just wrap a solvent soaked round patch around a bronze AP brush (so patch will cling) and clean with elbow grease.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies.

Now on a similar topic, what do you use to clean the inside of the gas block? A regular bore brush gets the sides ok but doesn't touch the back wall.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
For the Gasblock - I've found that cutting a green-type scrub pad into long strips and cramming/feeding it into the gas block in a spiral or corkscrew fashion works great. Especially when combined w/a little bore cleaner/carbon solvent/break cleaner thrown into the mix.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
j-rod said:
For the Gasblock - I've found that cutting a green-type scrub pad into long strips and cramming/feeding it into the gas block in a spiral or corkscrew fashion works great. Especially when combined w/a little bore cleaner/carbon solvent/break cleaner thrown into the mix.
Good idea, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts