AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with the NDS-3 Receivers that Classic Arms has for sale, they have a professionally applied blue that looks like would match really well, properly distressed, for the color of Romanian battlefield pickup kits.

They're $75 (plus a little shipping) so they're a little more than a regular one from NDS but I'm figuring they'd look better and closer to the original kit finish once I carefully distress the receiver to match than if I tried to finish it myself first with cold blue or something. Any thoughts?

FOR CLARIFICATION: These are professionally black oxided NDS-3s and NOT regular in-the-white blue heat treat color NDS-3 receivers. Regular NDS-3s are blue from heat treating but have not been finished and are not the right color for matching any kind of military AK kit. I am wondering what these particular ones look like and how they would match, after being distressed, in relation to a battlefield pickup kit.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Your better off just getting it directly from nds

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That wasn't what I asked. I've ordered from both before and had no problems with either of them.

I'm wondering if anybody has used these and could tell me anything about the finish on them.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
They are that color from being heat treated.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... :roll:

No, they are not. NDS receivers are blue from the heat treat.

These receivers have been professionally black oxided for Classic Arms. They are not just regular, in-the-white NDS-3s.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Being its a finished NDS-3 you still have to deal with probabily egging the rivet holes and most likely grinding a little in the mag opening. Sometimes the rear trunnion hole locations cause problems with the top cover fit on the NDS-3s.
There also NDS's recomendations on the 3's that the G2 single hooks not be used, you could need to cut for the double hook set or do some fitting on the G2 single.
http://www.nodakspud.com/troubleshooting.htm
Any grinding, fitting, and assembly scratches will remove the bluing to those areas. You could always cold blue the spots after assembly.
But if your after a battlefield look you would be roughing up the finish after assembly anyway, it should work fine for you.

Thats my experience, I've built enough 3's and if I can help it I pass on them and get the NDS-1s drilling the holes myself, I just end up with a better fit. Normally I blast, park, and paint with GK.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
tangotag said:
Being its a finished NDS-3 you still have to deal with probabily egging the rivet holes and most likely grinding a little in the mag opening. Sometimes the rear trunnion hole locations cause problems with the top cover fit on the NDS-3s.
There also NDS's recomendations on the 3's that the G2 single hooks not be used, you could need to cut for the double hook set or do some fitting on the G2 single.
http://www.nodakspud.com/troubleshooting.htm
Any grinding, fitting, and assembly scratches will remove the bluing to those areas. You could always cold blue the spots after assembly.
But if your after a battlefield look you would be roughing up the finish after assembly anyway, it should work fine for you.

Thats my experience, I've built enough 3's and if I can help it I pass on them and get the NDS-1s drilling the holes myself, I just end up with a better fit. Normally I blast, park, and paint with GK.

Just what he said..+1

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I have to wonder if they are oxide coated vice blued. CA does seem to get their terminology wrong from time to time in their gun descriptions.

The receivers I got from NDS recently were oxide coated a deep satin black. The receipt stated that is was just for this batch of receivers only and was not the normal finish.
Their normal receivers are a blue purple color from heat treating. That is essentially bare steel and needs finished.
I believe mine came as part of a batch that was special ordered. Such as what CA is selling.
They are beautifully done.
But I don't oxide my builds. I park and apply GC or moly. So these'll get blasted and parked.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not trying to be rude, but it is frustrating when people reply without reading or comprehending the question. I understand it may be a bit confusing, but if you're not familiar with these, pre-finished receivers that Classic Arms is selling, then please simply do not reply.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sidecarnutz said:
I have to wonder if they are oxide coated vice blued. CA does seem to get their terminology wrong from time to time in their gun descriptions.

The receivers I got from NDS recently were oxide coated a deep satin black. The receipt stated that is was just for this batch of receivers only and was not the normal finish.
Their normal receivers are a blue purple color from heat treating. That is essentially bare steel and needs finished.
I believe mine came as part of a batch that was special ordered. Such as what CA is selling.
They are beautifully done.
But I don't oxide my builds. I park and apply GC or moly. So these'll get blasted and parked.
Thanks for that information. I wonder if they are the same as CA's units and if they still have some in stock at the regular $55 price. I think I'll try to get ahold of Harlan and find out.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
It's worth asking him. I have found he is good to reach by e-mail. He always writes back within a day during the business week.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a reply from him, he said they don't have any more and he's not sure if the ones Classic has are the same or done by someone else. I will probably get one of the ones from Classic then unless someone pipes in with anything negative to say about their finish.

·
Registered
579 Posts
OURS COME WITH A PROFESSIONAL DEEP BLACK OXIDE COMMERCIALLY BLUED FINISH

Based on their website pictures. I'd say, the receiver would be a poor choice for what you intend to use it for. Firstly, the Romanian rifles have a rough to mild matt black blue, the Classic receiver is shiney. Using this receiver unmodified, would be kin to having a white toyota tercel with grey doors. Non matching finishes. Second, the receiver will take damage from riveting and assembly. Your rivets will require finish also. For them to sell a preblued receiver is counterproductive. I'd say it was more in the spirit of squeezing extra cash out of our pockets...they chuck a bunch of these in a tank with 100 dollars worth of salts, and make a hefty profit when sold. Regardless of the fact that building on a blued unassembled receiver is a bad choice.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Exothermia said:
That wasn't what I asked. I've ordered from both before and had no problems with either of them.

I'm wondering if anybody has used these and could tell me anything about the finish on them.
If you have ordered from them before and are confident in there products why are you asking us? The entire concept of bluing a receiver prior to building it is utterly asinine for the reason many others have already mentioned. I have built many AK’s using professional rivet tooling combined with a press; I don’t think all mighty cut put one together without marring the finish so why bother.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Thier statement is why I said they often do not describe their stuff accurately.

Oxided blued finish???? That is two different finishes. Which one is it? You'd have to call Ben at CA and ask.

We have reproduced the Romy finish very well by mag parking parts and then putting those in a hot blue tank that uses lye and distilled water and fertilzer as the salt mix. That turns the gray park a deep black color like the black park on the Romy guns. Lottsa of trouble to go through. But it looks awesome and holds oil well. Q Gunner2 is the guy who first had the idea to do this. And it worked beautifully. He just used my tanks to achieve it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my kit is a battlefield pickup so the finish is almost all gone, and I would of course distress this receiver to match this. The rivets' finish are worn off too so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm just wondering if this finish will be a good foundation to work from since the ordinary blue color of the NDS-3 is not even close. Otherwise I will have to try to use some home cold blue method or something since I don't have any professional finishing capability then distress it from there.

Any other ideas? Or other products I could apply that would match the kit once it's distressed? Does anybody know exactly what the Romanians put on their military guns in the '60s and '70s? I've heard park, blueing, or some kind of paint but it's pretty hard to tell because it's so worn.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Exothermia said:
Well my kit is a battlefield pickup so the finish is almost all gone, and I would of course distress this receiver to match this. The rivets' finish are worn off too so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm just wondering if this finish will be a good foundation to work from since the ordinary blue color of the NDS-3 is not even close. Otherwise I will have to try to use some home cold blue method or something since I don't have any professional finishing capability then distress it from there.

Any other ideas? Or other products I could apply that would match the kit once it's distressed? Does anybody know exactly what the Romanians put on their military guns in the '60s and '70s? I've heard park, blueing, or some kind of paint but it's pretty hard to tell because it's so worn.
They are matt blue.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Bluing is a type of black oxiding guys. Typical black oxide is only done for astetics and does not provide any suface protection such as oiled phosphate(parkerizing) does. Deep black oxide goes into the pores of the metal and is a little more durable.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Exothermia said:

I’ve seen excellent results using cold blue for battlefield looks. This is more functional on non matt blued surfaces. I’m not sure what to suggest. I guess it all comes down to how matte your Romy parts are??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts