AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These Chinese add-on bayonets are a mystery to me, and I was hoping someone could solve it.

Don Bell at Omega Weapons was the sole importer of these. I spoke with him on the phone a few months ago, and he claimed that they are not aftermarket parts made for the U.S. commercial market. Instead, he says that they were made to retrofit Chinese military AK's that didn't already have folding bayonets.

I tried to (politely) press him to explain how he learned that, but I didn't really get an answer. He's a really nice guy on the phone, but I could tell he was busy in the warehouse and I was probably pestering him a little. He did say there were Chinese military markings on the crates in which they were packed, and said that he could snap a photo for me, but he never got around to it.

Has anyone seen any photos of these in use on military AK's, anywhere in the world? (I have not.)

Did anyone see these sold by retailers with rifles when Chinese importation was legal? (I never did.)

No stampings on it, that I can see. What the heck is the story?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't want to start a new post, was wondering would these have been legal to put on a postban rifle back during the AWB?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Don is probably giving you the straight scoop on these.....if you look at some of the chinese bayonets that were imported for replacement of ones that originally came with the chicom rifles you'll notice that they are stamped CHINA on the crosspiece with the muzzle ring on the type 1 that goes on the Polytech Legend, right where the blade meets the crosspiece.

The CHINA stamping can also be found on the spike bayos in the same place, right at the base of the spike where it meets the locking piece. IIRC the replacements also had a small set screw that held everything together when the spike bayo was removed from the rifle. The original military version after being removed just came apart into it's 3 components (spike, muzzle catch, spring).

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't mean to imply that Don isn't right about these. I realize that he's the one who's actually been to China to get these.

It's just that I was hoping for something that would corroborate the claim that they are Chinese military items, and not something cooked up for sale here in the U.S. A photograph would do it.

If I read your post right, you're saying that these are probably military issue since they aren't marked "China" like other commercial export items. That's a good point.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I bought one from Omega about a 1 1/2 years ago. I hated it. The installed piece makes the rifle look kind of strange. The loop reminds me of SKS material. The bayo is actually shorter than the standard folding type and does not sit correctly in the slotted wood fore grip. Atleast it didn't on mine. I sold it off to someone else who had been in need of one.

·
Banned
329 Posts
I have a set of this too. My belief is that it's a after market product.
The very early Chinese AKs were made without folding bayonet, plus some very late ones in much smaller number (they switched to T81 in early 1980s). Majority of the Chinese military AK were made with folding bayonet. If the military made these folding bayo to retrofit, it must have occurred in 1960s for the very early Chinese AKs. All early Chinese AK have threaded barrel and barrel protector. The barrel ring of this add-on bayonet fits tightly on a unthreaded bare AK barrel, so I assume it will not fit the muzzle protector.
It is extremely unlikely that military made it to retrofit late AKs (1980s). In 1980s, after the Cultural Revolution and Chairmao's and Marshal Lin Byao's death, the leftist extremism in the military had subsided. The military did not truly believe bayonet played rule in "People's War." That's why some of the very later production of the AK were made without bayonet just before they ceased AK production and switched to T81. Why would they retro-fit these AKs if they made them without bayo? It does not make sense.
Pmego Weapons have many many authentic Chinese products but they are clever business people. They imported the fake Shansei .45 bloomhandles and the fake 7,63x25 Chinese bloomhandles that you still see on the market today. These were made in civilian factory and imported in Clinton's years

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have 3. I would have to believe these are the after market Chicom answer to the esmasculation that was done to AK's post 89'.

They only work on the standard muzzle nuts and are too big for the MAK-90s with the ground off threads. Mine wont fit over a slant brake.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmmm, Not So Sure

One-Man-Show, I'm not sure these rigs were made for export, commercial sale. This is cuz I ordered one from Omega's Don Bell, gosh, back in 1991. He had had them for some time before then.

We should keep in mind that Red China, its PLA, and its political leadership are far from being the centralized monoliths they would wish us to believe they are. These clamp-ons might well have been ordered by a provincial, county, municipal authority or even a military region or army commander. There is just no way of knowing from the outside looking in.

As you've got several of these rigs, can you tell me whether Trueno's pic above shows how these contraptions are supposed to go? I figured the clamp would be immediately within the front sight post assembly instead of behind it. TIA.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Clamps directly to the barrel behind the front sight. You knock out the rear pin in the sight base and replace it with a longer pin and you're done.

hope this helped,

t

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Re: Hmmm, Not So Sure

archivist dick said:
One-Man-Show, I'm not sure these rigs were made for export, commercial sale. This is cuz I ordered one from Omega's Don Bell, gosh, back in 1991. He had had them for some time before then.

We should keep in mind that Red China, its PLA, and its political leadership are far from being the centralized monoliths they would wish us to believe they are. These clamp-ons might well have been ordered by a provincial, county, municipal authority or even a military region or army commander. There is just no way of knowing from the outside looking in.

As you've got several of these rigs, can you tell me whether Trueno's pic above shows how these contraptions are supposed to go? I figured the clamp would be immediately within the front sight post assembly instead of behind it. TIA.

Got a picture of one like that?

Does it line up with the front FSB pin?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I can only relay what Don once told me when we were talking about them and that was, they were a military item as the folks he got much of his Chinese parts from were getting them from the same source. He also said many he had were mailed-back as the Chinese military wanted them back for some reason and paid to get them back. But we'll probably never know what the real deal is with them but he must've had a ton of them at one time.

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
Trueno said:
Clamps directly to the barrel behind the front sight. You knock out the rear pin in the sight base and replace it with a longer pin and you're done.

hope this helped,

t
Does the bayonet loop fit tight over your bare muzzle when extended or does it need a muzzle nut/slant brake?

Hootbro

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Hootbro said:
Trueno said:

hope this helped,

t
Does the bayonet loop fit tight over your bare muzzle when extended or does it need a muzzle nut/slant brake?

Hootbro

Fits loose, needs a brake etc.

t

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No one could offer me anything but anecdotal evidence of actual ChiCom military use, so I sold the one in my pictures.

$60, I think it was.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts