AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Circle 21 74 poly mag knock-offs?

I ran across a couple very odd mags that appear to be knock-offs (or very early experimental versions?) of a standard poly Circle 21Bulgarian 74 mags. I'm not any sort of mag expert, but my impression is that the Paki/Khyber knockoffs typically either mimic Soviet mags, or they do their own thing.

With these two mags, colors are odd, texture and finish of the plastic isn't quite right, and there are number of small differences and crude approximations of the original design features. There is 4-sided metal reinforcement around mouth of the mag and up into the feed lips, but the front latches are plastic. Here are the pics with comments.

If someone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. My apologies if it turns out I'm unaware of something that's pretty common.

Plastic front locking tabs

Different colors, but cast from the same mold. Crude scraping around the mold seam is identical.

Compare front tab details - knock-off (plastic) on R, real deal (metal) on L

Don't see this little round window-to-metal on regular Bulgy 74 mags

Metal hanging out of feedlip, poorly fitting follower with gap

Compare followers and feedlips/mag mouth details - knock-off on L, real deal on R; look around the edges of the opening, differences are substantial

Compare floorplate and plastic tab details - knock-off on R, real deal on L

Floorplates (both are knock-off mags) aren't the same - real floorplates could be substituted

·
Registered
200 Posts
Those are Pakistani made mags, AZAK. There should be steel under the plastic on the front lug. They used to be very rare and expensive, but now you can find them for about $60 each from a fellow member!

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that Paki mags have come down in price, but are the ones he's selling stamped as Circle 10s or another variant?

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, most definitely 21's! Thanks for pointing that out, now changed.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Those are definitely Paki's...the re-enforcing ribs on the back strap are a little "finer" than on the Bulgy ((21))'s...the rear lug on the Paki's is brass...I haven't seen nor am I aware of any Paki/Bulgy knock-offs in anything but the ((21)) designation...also the brown and orange are the only confirmed Paki/Bulgy colors currently in circulation...

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
yea, damnit zane! :) the price on those things shot down, fast. Id hold onto them, because I could be wrong but I dont think any more are coming in.... Soon demand should come to the point they will become rare again. At least I hope.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Those are Pakistani made mags, AZAK. There should be steel under the plastic on the front lug. They used to be very rare and expensive, but now you can find them for about $60 each from a fellow member!
Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts