AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting on a few more things. Almost there...

Thats an unfired norinco front end, norinco dust cover and selector.

Unfired with no serial number Norinco bolt carrier and bolt with spring loaded pin.

Waiting for the chinese trigger guard assembly from Joeken. First they sent me the new made euro style by mistake, then they sent me the correct demilled chinese but when it was cut off the receiver they went right trought the selector stop so I sent it back. crossing my fingers that third time will be a charm.

Gonna build it on an elk river 1.6mm receiver, placing that order in a day or so.

I still need a barrel pin, is this the correct part?

http://stores.homestead.com/Tactica...0/Poly-Technologies-Barrel-Bushing/Detail.bok

IF not what/where can I get what I need?

thanks for the help, this is my first build

P.S. Please forgive me cross posting this, I am looking to get as much help as I can

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Barrel pins, domestically are nothing more than steel dowel pins and they are very cheap from machine tool catalogs.

Here is a single.
http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/stor ... dProduct=6

The picture you linked too looks like the detent for retaining the muzzle brake/nut/hider.

About your build, is your Bulgy rear trunnion smaller width wise than the Chinese barrel trunnion? Do you plan to shim the difference?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help with the pin.

To answer your question, your on the right track but backwards.

The chinese part is more narrow to accomodate the thickness of the receiver. thus the Bulgy trunnion will be milled down on both sides to fit in the receiver.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Roger that :wink: thanks on the info back, that makes more cense than what I was thinking. What's an Elk River 1.6 receiver running these days, roughly.
I have a friend in need of rebuilding a Chinese full stock.

Please post more pics when you get it assembled.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Not bashing but whats the reason for wanting to use the elk river reciever.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Using the Elk river because it is 1.6mm receiver.

you also could use an akm barrle assembily & barrle parts
As soon as you send me those unfired parts for free I will go ahead and use them. :wink:

this is being built off of parts I have lying around in my father and My collection. So far I have not spent any money on this project ( other then the money earned selling the unneeded parts) I intend to keep it this way .

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Flyingjibus said:

As soon as you send me those unfired parts for free I will go ahead and use them. :wink:

this is being built off of parts I have lying around in my father and My collection. So far I have not spent any money on this project ( other then the money earned selling the unneeded parts) I intend to keep it this way .

Why not do the opposite... I'll send you the parts and you send me yours, cause I am hurtin' for a Chinese barrel assembly.

By the way, the lower handguard will need the rear tab filed down a good bit to fit the rifle, and yes the rear trunnion will need to be ground. MAK-90 front trunnions are thicker and deeper, so drilling and cutting out the space for the front latch may be a big pain in the arse (depending how good you are at cutting metal and if you have good tools or just basic stuff).

Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Q-gunner2 said:
Flyingjibus said:

Why not do the opposite... I'll send you the parts and you send me yours, cause I am hurtin' for a Chinese barrel assembly.

By the way, the lower handguard will need the rear tab filed down a good bit to fit the rifle, and yes the rear trunnion will need to be ground. MAK-90 front trunnions are thicker and deeper, so drilling and cutting out the space for the front latch may be a big pain in the arse (depending how good you are at cutting metal and if you have good tools or just basic stuff).

Either way, good luck!
are your parts you have to trade unfired?

What makes you think it is a Mak-90 front trunnion?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drilled out the rivets and removed the rear trunnion from the hunk of demilled reciever. Came out nice, its in good shape.

Still waiting on the trigger guard from Joeken.

Q, I know your looking for a chinese front end, but my desire is to build a chinese rifle. The handguards and grip are purel cosmetic and if I suddenly become a purist I can easily make the rifle complete chinese spec, they did after all make a triangle side folder.

Can you elaborate more on this
MAK-90 front trunnions are thicker and deeper, so drilling and cutting out the space for the front latch may be a big pain in the arse
I keep hearing rumblings about this, but I dont see why I would need to do that if I am using a 1.6mm receiver. It should fit like a chinese receiver unless there is something I dont know about the Elk river receiver. I could always have them install my front trunnion for 30 dollars more

To answer the above question about cost of their reciever's the base is 89.99 for a 100% $10 more for 1.6mm.

Front latch assembly for stock is scheduled for delivery tommorow.

Still trying to decide how much work I want to pay elk river to do or just get the receiver and do it myself.....

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Chiber Pass

jibus, I just finished building a Kyber Pass rifle on a Romanian kit. I put Bulgarian AK47 red/orange bakelite handguards and matching pistol grip on mine. Although I used an NDS-1KP receiver that already had the appropriate cuts, it was a pain in the ass getting the spring installed in the front catch and the rear push button. One thing I would do for sure is measure 3 times before I cut. That combination should make a fine Pass gun. I really like the looks of the ones built from an RPK. Yours should be a joy to shoot with that heavier receiver and barrel, compared to smaller AKM parts. I can't wait to see the finished pics. It would really look awesome if you stripped the buttstock and blued the whole gun.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Flyingjibus said:
I keep hearing rumblings about this, but I dont see why I would need to do that if I am using a 1.6mm receiver. It should fit like a chinese receiver unless there is something I dont know about the Elk river receiver.

If you do/don't want dimples on that 1.6, make sure to specify.

t

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trueno said:
Flyingjibus said:
I keep hearing rumblings about this, but I dont see why I would need to do that if I am using a 1.6mm receiver. It should fit like a chinese receiver unless there is something I dont know about the Elk river receiver.

If you do/don't want dimples on that 1.6, make sure to specify.

t
according to a post from elk river in the Vendor section they are not able to make undimpled 1.6mm Receivers

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44191

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I am going to have Elk river install the front trunnion and trigger guard. I beleive this to be the smart thing to do to avoid any fittament issues.

Will I have any issues finishing (i.e. Blueing or something) the receiver if it is connected to already blued parts?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help on the blueing question there fellas... :neutral: I decided to have Elk river Parkerize the receiver.

Now the bad news.

The elk river receivers come with trigger guard holes already drilled. 4 of them. My Chinese Trigger guard will not work. Going to have them put on a new 4 hole. Is there any issue with the bulgy selector stop when using a Chinese selector?

I cant believe how much trouble I went through to get the chinese guard and stop only to not be able to use it. I looked into having them weld up and re-drill and they quoted me $80.00. Too much money.

Oh well, sorry purists!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts