AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a post for guys who may be a little newer to the game, & thinking about getting their first ak or ar.

When the gun shop salesman tries to tell you having a chrome barrel doesn't matter. Dont listen to him. He is only correct if you plan on shooting less than 1000-2000 rounds through the rifle(in my opinion).
He is full of shit and just trying to sell you.
Here is my opinion why.

I have a bunch of rifles with and without chrome.. All my semi automatic rifles have had at least 2500+ rounds through them.. And all the barrels with chrome so far show no signs of pitting or wear.. However all my rifles with no chrome show signs of pitting and wear from 2500-3500 round mark. Btw I pretty much just shoot non corrosive , & some range trips include alot of rapid fire.

I shoot cheap ammo usually steel case.. i hear many say non chrome barrels are more accurate.. again I think that is hog wash. (with a self loading firearm shooting an intermediate round) I have noticed no advantage from either aside then chrome lined barrels last a hell of a lot longer!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Generally I agree but it all comes down to how "cheap" the barrels are. I had a DD AR and they don't, or at least didn't, use chrome in their barrels. Still quality rifle that lasted and lasted. A Century anything ....NO

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I have thousands and thousands of rounds through some of my non chromed barresl and they look as new. Personally, I DO prefer chromed. However, Quality non chromed (read military) barrels will last and last.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Yep, that's why it has been more or less a standard feature on military arms since the Vietnam era.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It's MY opinion that the OP is full of it.

There are just as many military arms out there with no chrome that have thousands of rounds through them and are still going strong. Name one. Any rifle. And there's a non chrome version of it out there that's decades old and still accurate. M1 Garand, 1903, K98k, G3, HK33E, Mosin Nagant, FAL, Yugo AK, the list of popular examples is very long. There are countless models of all of them in peoples hands right this minute that are 30, 40, 70 years old that are still shiny on the inside and will drop a mad bull at 500 meters. It all depends on what kind of care they received through there lives, not whether or not there's chrome in the bore.

Accuracy is relative, my friend. If hitting that bull is accurate to you, shooting him in the eye at the same distance is accuracy to someone else. You are pissing in the wind to buck the proven fact that when real and very tight accuracy is needed, you won't find a chrome lined barrel. Fact is, chrome plating is a variable that's impossible to apply evenly, hence being a variable. If the thickness isn't perfect from one end of the bore to the other, even by a few tenths (that's .0001) , the bullet will not fit the bore as tightly as it did before it went through the area with the thicker plating. Consistency=accuracy. Inconsistency=inaccuracy. You won't notice it in an AK or an FAL but you will notice it in a tightly fitting and well made target rifle put up against a similar model with a chrome lined barrel.

Chrome has it's place in a barely cared for, often abused and wet military use rifle in the hands of a grunt who's very possibly using corrosive ammo. Outside of that? The worlds militaries have been stacking bodies for decades without it and we still shoot those same rifles today.

It's good that you qualified your post with the word "opinion".

Reactions: akaf47

·
Banned
950 Posts
Chrome lining and hammer forged is the only way I'll buy an AK.

I shot AK's past 15K rounds through the bore and they still shoot well enough to take to a dinner date at the apocalypse- so whatever.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm a fan of chrome for the longevity and durability it adds to the barrel and well as making it a bit easier to clean up afterward. In a harsh environment chrome shines in it's ability to shield the bore from the elements. Precision Rifles, by their nature trade a bit of durability for the increase in accuracy to get the job done at long range. As such they are rarely subjected to the rapid fire conditions that accelerate bore wear. So it all boils done to the role the rifle is destined to fill as to whether or not it benefits from chrome lining. IMHO.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I'm a fan of chrome for the longevity and durability it adds to the barrel and well as making it a bit easier to clean up afterward. In a harsh environment chrome shines in it's ability to shield the bore from the elements. Precision Rifles, by their nature trade a bit of durability for the increase in accuracy to get the job done at long range. As such they are rarely subjected to the rapid fire conditions that accelerate bore wear. So it all boils done to the role the rifle is destined to fill as to whether or not it benefits from chrome lining. IMHO.
This is all common sense at this point folks. If you can't appreciate what 56type is saying here, it's time to hang it up.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's MY opinion that the OP is full of it.

There are just as many military arms out there with no chrome that have thousands of rounds through them and are still going strong. Name one. Any rifle. And there's a non chrome version of it out there that's decades old and still accurate. M1 Garand, 1903, K98k, G3, HK33E, Mosin Nagant, FAL, Yugo AK, the list of popular examples is very long. There are countless models of all of them in peoples hands right this minute that are 30, 40, 70 years old that are still shiny on the inside and will drop a mad bull at 500 meters. It all depends on what kind of care they received through there lives, not whether or not there's chrome in the bore.

Accuracy is relative, my friend. If hitting that bull is accurate to you, shooting him in the eye at the same distance is accuracy to someone else. You are pissing in the wind to buck the proven fact that when real and very tight accuracy is needed, you won't find a chrome lined barrel. Fact is, chrome plating is a variable that's impossible to apply evenly, hence being a variable. If the thickness isn't perfect from one end of the bore to the other, even by a few tenths (that's .0001) , the bullet will not fit the bore as tightly as it did before it went through the area with the thicker plating. Consistency=accuracy. Inconsistency=inaccuracy. You won't notice it in an AK or an FAL but you will notice it in a tightly fitting and well made target rifle put up against a similar model with a chrome lined barrel.

Chrome has it's place in a barely cared for, often abused and wet military use rifle in the hands of a grunt who's very possibly using corrosive ammo. Outside of that? The worlds militaries have been stacking bodies for decades without it and we still shoot those same rifles today.

It's good that you qualified your post with the word "opinion".

Lol You mad bro?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts