AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering which countries made chrome lined barrels, and which ones do not? both for the akm and the ak74. Does anyone have a list?

for example,Do tantals have chrome lined barrels?

can anyone help me with this?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Everybody but the Yugoslavians and the domestically made US barrels for Century.

Real Polish Tantal barrel, yes, chrome lined. POS Century, no, not chrome lined.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks,Templar

that explains it.

I wonder why the yugos chose not to chrome their barrels?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If the Yugoslavian firearms industry was anything like their optics industry, a lot of technology was set up by ze germans. Weapons technology builds on itself. That's why we were still messing around with updating the M1 garand well into the 50's, and the soviets / yugoslavians produced primarily milled AK's in the early years. Familiar technology often trumps theoretically better stuff.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still, other than the additional cost involved, why did the yougos not chrome their barrels,when every other E-block nation was? was it just a cost/time saving measure?

also, I wonder how many rounds of mil spec ammo a non chromed barrel can take vs a chromed one?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
chrome mines :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
command450 said:
still, other than the additional cost involved, why did the yougos not chrome their barrels,when every other E-block nation was? was it just a cost/time saving measure?

also, I wonder how many rounds of mil spec ammo a non chromed barrel can take vs a chromed one?
The honest truth is no one really knows. Cost savings, time savings, resource savings, it could be any one of those, but no one has presented concrete proof of any of those theories thus far.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
JinxxxOnU said:
phreakmode said:
Why is that funny?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium
Chrome is not a a minable metal, chromium is. Apart from that, pure chromium is not even used in chrome plating, chromium salts are (sulfate,chloride). It's like saying there is no 4140 mines in the country, well no shit, 4140 is an alloy. Chrome is a process, hard to mine a process. Chromium is a metal, you can mine that.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
phreakmode said:
JinxxxOnU said:
phreakmode said:
Why is that funny?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium
Chrome is not a a minable metal, chromium is. Apart from that, pure chromium is not even used in chrome plating, chromium salts are (sulfate,chloride). It's like saying there is no 4140 mines in the country, well no shit, 4140 is an alloy. Chrome is a process, hard to mine a process. Chromium is a metal, you can mine that.
Yep +1

I don't know if anyone knows why they didn't? Maybe cost was a factor!

T :smile:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I realized that "Chroming" is an electroplate process, just thought chromium must be a part of it.

Is the "Chroming" in our barrels really like the "Chroming" on our fenders?

Fender chrome just doesn't seem that tough.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
JinxxxOnU said:
I realized that "Chroming" is an electroplate process, just thought chromium must be a part of it.

Is the "Chroming" in our barrels really like the "Chroming" on our fenders?

Fender chrome just doesn't seem that tough.
It isn't.

There is decorative chrome and hard-chrome. Decorative chrome involves plating with several other metals (like copper) first and then a final plating of chrome. Decorative chrome is not suitable for rifle barrels, or the entire rifle at all- it will "hot blue" itself with heat, meaning if you chrome the outside of your rifle barrel, it will turn black if you shoot it.

Hard chrome is much more durable and applied better. This is used on some tools, rifle barrels, etc.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Q's right its a different process than regular chroming.

I found this before looking for some info on chrome lined barrels versus stainless.

...Then, after the barrel is fully machined, it is chrome lined, making it even tougher yet - and virtually impervious to rust or erosion. This chroming process isn't like car bumper chroming. It actually welds each chromium molecule to the steel bore. This chrome lining is far more resistant to wear than a bare steel bore and it gives slightly increased velocity due to the lubricity ("slipperiness") of the chrome. And, you'll see less fouling and easier cleaning with a chrome lined barrel - all in all, a superior product.
http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=18

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the responses,

I think the only reason they would not do it,would be cost savings. It has been proven over time that the chrome lined( yes, lined,not plated, like others were mentioning) certainly last much longer,especially when mil spec ammo is used and imagine what the difference would be if the weapon was being used in full auto most of the time :animak:

notice how many worn yugo barrels are out there? seems to be a major concern when selling those, because they DID wear out!

I will tip my hat to the romanians, that built the two barrels I have......both look fabulous. you can see it is on there thick, and is very well machined. they did a great job!!

hence the reason I was asking which countries did not chrome the barrels. I knew most yugos did not,but I was not sure about all the other e-block nations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts