AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:neutral: What kinda damage can this stuff really do? Penetration, thickness of material that it will do damage to, cast iron, steel plate, armor plate? Never have tryed it and am curious as I've got some lined up to purchase. Thanks for the time and info. Madtechcool :cool:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Madtechcool said:
:neutral: What kinda damage can this stuff really do? Penetration, thickness of material that it will do damage to, cast iron, steel plate, armor plate? Never have tryed it and am curious as I've got some lined up to purchase. Thanks for the time and info. Madtechcool :cool:

The "PS" test group is the chinese steel core stuff.

Lollygagger :neutral:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
So Bi-metal FMJ is almost the same as steel core? :neutral:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I've seen your stuff Yoda, it just looks like the results contradict each other... confusing.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Madtechcool said:
Oh...nobody has said this, so I will...

BE CAREFUL!!! :shock:

The steel cores in the "PS" ammo will strip out of the bullet easily on impact against anything remotely hard -and go FLYING OFF LIKE HELL in whatever direction!

I'm serious. Really, really watch what you shoot at & the backstop. This stuff is dangerous.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Q-gunner2

I've seen your stuff Yoda, it just looks like the results contradict each other... confusing.

exactly what is "contradictory" ? i leave a lot of details out to keep it simple .

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
No, I mean you posted info on steel plate penetration, and then here is a picture with zero armor plate penetration.

How far apart are the plates you used from this armor plate?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
obviously you missed a minor detail :wink:

my SHEETS were mild steel from an auto-stamping plant close out . they are 1/8" thick or 3.17mm or .125" or 10ga . multiple steel sheets were separated by 1.5" styrafoam boards .

AberdeanProvingGrounds used 10ga .

nato used 8ga or 3.45mm steel plates (i guess thats where the diff between a "plate" and a "sheet" lays)

all of these are standard cold rolled sheetmetal . i chose sheetmetal this type/thick to imitate many of the heavyduty objects hidden under the skin of an auto/truck body . window mechs , fenderwashers , crashbars , etc. a railroad fishplate is a hot-FORGED thing far harder and much tuffer than sheetmetal . a lowgrade ARMOR if you will .

always happy to answer real questions or fill in details .

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I am not trying to be a "king douche" here but I know little of the gauges of steel and all that. I know what stamped is and what forged is, but you said the AK was worthless against armor without steel core. Buy the looks of his, as you said, "low grade armor" after being shot, the AK is not effective PERIOD against armor.

I guess that is my confusion. :neutral:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
I am not trying to be a "king douche" here but I know little of the gauges of steel and all that. I know what stamped is and what forged is, but you said the AK was worthless against armor without steel core. Buy the looks of his, as you said, "low grade armor" after being shot, the AK is not effective PERIOD against armor.

I guess that is my confusion. :neutral:
Maybe this will be of some worth to the discusssion.

I had interest in the performance of rounds against hard steel plate. and tested this informally, but enough to answer my interest...I was not looking at other barriers and variances. I just kept it simple.

The basic observation that I came up with is that intermediate powered cartridges, "AP" or not, are pretty lame compared with full powered major class loads in AP.

As this plate demonstrates. The AP (true AP) had the penetrator cores sticking out the back side of this 7/8" thick section of plate. 7.62x39mm, 5.45x39mm & 5.56 Nato don't even come near, regardless of bullet style.

It pretty well lead me to forget worring much about the pentration of the intermediate cartridges...against this medium.

I wanted to see it "where the pedal met the metal" rather than stats.

That's just my take.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
all the carbine rounds are farly ineffective against ARMOR as LOLLYGAGGERs' fish plate shows , even the real AP CARBINE rounds . the Russians have supposedly developed some advanced AP for the 545x39 but it looses all its fleshdamage properties .

i fired PSYDO 762x39 AP loads from 303B against a low grade armor block , a 'bridge leveling pad' . two types of 120gr @2200fps and two types of 150gr @2000fps , they both penetrated only .6" and bounced . the two AP types were FN pointy cores and hirtenberger flatpoint cores . with the other shots on my 'pad' it looks just like LOLLYGAGGERS fish plates .

the posters original question was about what kind of damage COMMON STEELCORE M43/PS can do . i show what it can do in my link .

dont worry , i'll have pics soon !

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I got some Chinese steel core today, 80 rounds of it, so I guess I am ready for "not quite armor but close enough plates". :grin:

And hey if I REALLY need anti armor stuff I have Soviet 7.62x54R APIT. :twisted:

The Chinese AP is 31 over 92 headstamp, RED bullet sealant.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
my 'armor block' pics didnt turn out . they show the same thing LOLLYGAGGERS test plate does , what everybody already knows , that carbines arnt gonna bust any APCs or FVs , even with REAL ap ammo .

why did we need to show that anyway ? DUH

here are a few of my STATISTICS . something a little more representitive of autos and trucks , at least the heavy parts underneith like window-mechs , crashbars and tubes , fenderwashers , brackets ...

more pics on the way eventully

1 - 17 of 17 Posts