AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Hopefully this does not deflate your bubble, but probably 90% of the Chinese mags that came in up until 1994, were new made mags for commercial export and not surplus military mags pulled off the warehouse shelf, especially the ones with "Made in China" stamped on them.

Mags were a "cottage industry" made item in China that supported the many various state arsenals building AK's. These were usually very small industrial shops that were give loose specs of what a mag needs to do, hence the multiple variations.

Your mags fit the "Polytech" pattern derived mags that were exported in droves. While not everyday common, hardly rare in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
The holes don't seem to be uniform. Might just be the picture, but the 3 holes don't look like they are the same distance from the spine.
In the same picture it appears the center hole is larger than the other two.

I hope this is just camera angle and not something someone did to get more money from an otherwise standard mag.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the mags today, definitely got more interesting.

One of the three has a chrome follower, so that's a bonus. Took them apart to clean and found that even the spring is chrome plated.
I've never disassembled any of my poly' s, do they all have chrome springs? I'll have to dig 'em out of the closet to see for myself.

Next talking point is the witness holes:
All 9 holes are the same size, although as noted above, the top two are slightly farther away from the spine than the lower. All three mags follow the same pattern: the bottom (30) hole appears to be in the exact location as some generic flatbacks I had easily accessible to compare with, the top two holes are the same distance from the bottom hole and from each other and are the exact same distance away from the spine (like drilled from the same jig), and interestingly none of the holes have been chamfered (like all 9 were drilled at the same time). The generic flatbacks I compared with all had chamfered holes. All 9 holes on these mags would cut your finger with little effort.

And lastly, the finish:
They are not blued like I was expecting. They each have a thin enamel finish that is of excellent quality/condition. Reminds me of some of the unused, late production Russian mags I have with a baked on enamel. It's just not as thick. The enamel appears to not be their original finish.

Time to start guessing. Mine is that these are n.o.s. that were drilled/refurbed recently (last ten years)

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
625 Posts
In the early to mid 90's there were a few unscrupulous individuals that added chrome followers and extra holes to almost any Chinese mag and tried to pass them off as Polytech mags. You could buy the chrome followers from Kengs for $1.00 for a few years in the early 90's. There were others that had followers chrome plated, but they were always too shiny. If you had enough of the originals pass through your hands you could pick up on the fakes pretty easy. Your mags are definitely the early transitional pattern, the last variation with the spine, and fairly rare here. Unfortunately I think they were altered to look like Poly mags, and probably painted to try and cover up the fact that they were drilled. I don't think it really detracts from the value, but you might want to swap out the chrome follower for a correct blued one. You also might try removing the paint, the original blued finish might still be intact underneath. I think Kengs might have even added chrome followers to run of the mill "made in china" mags in the past just to get a premium price, but they didn't actually advertise them as poly mags. Polytech mags were made exclusively for the US market with blued and chrome followers, but they always had "Poly China" on the base plate, and no spine.

·
Registered
844 Posts
In the early to mid 90's there were a few unscrupulous individuals that added chrome followers and extra holes to almost any Chinese mag and tried to pass them off as Polytech mags. You could buy the chrome followers from Kengs for $1.00 for a few years in the early 90's. There were others that had followers chrome plated, but they were always too shiny. If you had enough of the originals pass through your hands you could pick up on the fakes pretty easy. Your mags are definitely the early transitional pattern, the last variation with the spine, and fairly rare here. Unfortunately I think they were altered to look like Poly mags, and probably painted to try and cover up the fact that they were drilled. I don't think it really detracts from the value, but you might want to swap out the chrome follower for a correct blued one. You also might try removing the paint, the original blued finish might still be intact underneath. I think Kengs might have even added chrome followers to run of the mill "made in china" mags in the past just to get a premium price, but they didn't actually advertise them as poly mags. Polytech mags were made exclusively for the US market with blued and chrome followers, but they always had "Poly China" on the base plate, and no spine.
They are still doing it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts