AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have seen many people ask about the Chinese MAK-90 rifles that came into the country in the early 90s, and were subsequently "collected" by the BATFE.

Special thanks to "Dutchkma" and his personal first-hand experience with one of the "special" rifles. These pictures are probably the only ones in existence which closely detail the specifications.

These MAK-90 rifles were declared "contraband" by the the BATFE because of the third pin hole in the receiver. Even though they had a rivit installed in the third hole, they are still contraband because of the third hole. "Once a machinegun, always a machinegun."

I actually handled one of these back in Colorado Springs, Colorado at the local gunshow and a dealer friend of mine said to stay away from them because they were "ATF Bait."

If you run across one of these rifles for sale.....admire it.....handle it......but don't buy it. There is no way it will ever be legal to own.

KF

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Man,I could'nt have done it!

Reactions: Damon

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is a Vendor at National Gun Day shows every time that has one of these.... no rivet just an open hole..... :shock: I always called him the shaker
cause the first time I saw it he made sure I saw the extra hole by shaking it at me...... he has it every show for the last three years.... I just figured he was ATF.....I bet If you bought it you would get to meet his buddies on the way out.....

He says its a type 56 early import made semi by removing parts...
He won't talk to me anymore, I went by and acted like I was really interested in buying it :goof: at couple shows in a row....now he seems to know me buy sight......

·
Registered
153 Posts
Interesting pics!

Great pics for my Chicom picture folder(s). :cool:

I've seen a few of the "third hole" Chicoms on the auction sites and as obvious as they were, the unit pictured above goes well beyond obvious. Not that I doubt authenticity or slipping past the joke we call "US Customs". It's so sadly obvious it's no "sporter" rifle whatsoever. I don't know how such a piece could be labeled "ATF bait" though. How would the average Joe, with little or no knowledge of AK's in general know he was buying contraband? Throw a t-hole stock on there and it's good to go, the underfolder hole might seem suspect to a Rommie shopper but a MAK's a MAK (or NHM/BWK). I suppose it could be considered a 'bait gun' if the potential buyer looked to his buddy and said "Look, that's that f/a axis pin hole!" I wouldn't touch one purchase-wise but interesting conversation and pictures. Seems to me the average first-time buyer wouldn't be concerned with the filled hole for the pin but more the underfolder hole--y'know, "these things are banned" stuff.

Love to have that 19mm trunnion though, likely more rare than third hole receivers. Thanks for the pics and credit to the original poster.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah. I was working at a shop that had two of these sold thru it...

The ATF showed up and went crazy chasing both of them down to the purchasers -and did.

Scared the hell out of a gun newbie that bought one!

Yep -that sear hole (with or without a pin) is a FA "part" per the ATF.

Lollygagger :neutral:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have handled a couple of those as well. I have a friend that is a C3/SOT He had a few of them in his personal collection. He looked for them and tried to buy them when he could. I think they are all gone now. I will have to ask him. It is interesting to see how they blocked the third hole with the plate and rivet. Not all that hard to do away with if one was so inclined.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
3rd hole

Couldn't you have tigged or migged the hole closed ??? That is a permanent repair ???? Well I guess they know all the ser# on the ones with the rivets right???
Still hot potato :shock:
Upon further research torching is the only way... The atf reads it as once a mg always a mg :sad:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I saw one at a gun show. I believe it was a Bubba's basement conversion, however. It was a pre-ban, and drilled too big. The hole had a pin. I saw a guy eyeing it over. I said, "Do you want to go to jail?"

He said, "Why would I go to jail?"

I said, "It's got the full auto pin hole."

He marched off like I offended him :roll: . Just trying to help a brother out.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I know it may seem stupid but could you be specific as to where this full auto pin hole is? I think I know what it is (the lowest one of the 3 right?). My apologies, but I pretty new to AKs.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
1st hole behind the selector markings.

ATF considers "once a machine gun always a machine gun" can't be welded, pinned riveted or anything else nut cut up for a nice kit!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I saw one of these at the Little Rock fun show today. The guy didn’t know what he had. He clamed to be a licensed FFL he talked a lot of shit about all he know about Chicom weapons but he was stile trying to sell this rifle. I picked it up and looked at it just to make sure that what I thought was there was and sure enough third hole with a long rivet all the way though the receiver. I sure hope no one ends up getting caught with it.

:grin: Sign_Wolfman :grin:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
yeah it could of.
Problem is that the one that I saw was $750 even after I informed the seller that the rifle was illegal.
I almost bought it.

You can buy a MAK90 for $350 and do the mods yoursel or you could just build a Romy for $150

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I had an FFL at the time and received the ATF letter notifying dealers of the infamous third hole MAK's. It was 1994 as I recall. There was a scematic drawing showing where the third hole was...as if nobody knew. The ATF letter instructed dealers to contact purchasers and to collect the rifles and turn them into F-troop. I personally hadn't purchased or sold any but the word around at the time was that not too many got turned in. I lived in Tucson at the time and dealt with B-West and their Jensen's retail store and I recall they had gotten stuck with some also. Seems a lot of people when contacted just said, "oh that rifle, hell I sold that to some guy at the gun show".

I guess ATF needs something to occupy their time. I never saw the issue myself. The hole was riveted up and it would probably have been more work to undo everything than to just drill a hole if someone wanted an illegal FA.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
myself and snakebite seen one of these at the last hot springs gun show with the underfolder hole plugged. Thats what I seen first . It was 385 dollars. I was fixing to snatch it up until i seen the FA markings and pin . It was sooooooooo hard not to take it home. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts