AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little dilemma here. My cousin just bought a MAK 90 and asked me if I would let him borrow my Chinese drum. I agreed. Well he returned about a week ago and I did not inspect it and put it back with the rest of my mags. Fast foward to today. I pulled the drum out to load it up with some spare rounds that I have laying around and noticed something odd. The follower is bent :mad: The little cylindrical piece that stickes up out of the spider is broke on the bottom part and cracked on the top part and is bent back. Apparently, he released the mag spring pressure with it empty and the follower slamed into the cartridge feed ramp bending it back.

Trust me the next time I see him he is getting an ass kicking :chair: So how should I proceed fixing this problem? Should I just take a pair of pliers and bend it back. I'm nervous about that option because I do not want to break it off. My other idea was to take a torch and heat it up and then bend it back. Any one have any good ideas on how to go about this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'd err on the side of caution...

Heat the area that is to be bent to a dull "cherry" glow & bend it. That should work, and you avoid breaing it -which it might, as I would expect it has some temper to it.

Lollygagger :neutral: (You LOANED a CHINESE drum to a moron?)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that is what I'll do. Normally the kid is not a moron but he must have been having a off day. I'll give it a shot and hopefully it will work.
Thanks Lollygagger

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Sounds like he just bought that drum :wink: Really, I'm not sure bending is ultimately going to fix it.

He needs a drum anyway for his MAK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I fixed it today. I tried to heat it up but ran out of fuel for my torch so I just took a pair of needle nose plyers and slowly bent it. Then... snap...FU*K!!!!!! Since it was only a small part of the follower I figured it would still work so I loaded it up and cycled the action and it fed all 75 perfectly :grin: But I am still kicking my cousins ass :stonehim:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Broken Drum

:sad: Man, I feel for ya. Could the drum be stripped down and the follower be copied? It's not that heavy of a guage steel and then heattreat it. I'd try somethin'. Remember, a little good ol' American enginuity should get'er done. If the Chinese made it, you can fix it. Challenge! :wink: Madtechcool :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts