AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Could someone help me identify this ammo? A neighbor is trying to sell it to me but I do not know what it is or what it is worth. He said it was the chinese steel core but dont they all say that. Lol.

Thanks for any help.

Arthur McKinish

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
That is a tin of Chinese steel core ammunition, made at factory 31. It is copper washed steel case, corrosive, but it is highly desireable- it is "hot loaded", meaning higher velocity than Russian made ammunition (due to a hotter burning powder). Also, most Chinese ammunition has a tar type sealant on the primer, and a sealant around the bullet, meaning it will last for much longer than most commercial stuff.

That tin also MIGHT be on stripper clips. I do not know the denotation for Chinese ammunition on stripper clips, but freerangeYODA probably will. He is the stupid genius of the ammo world. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
It really depends- wait until Yoda gets here, if it comes with the stripper clips then that is an additional 55 stripper clips along with the ammo... which is litterally an extra $25 in clips.

If he is offering under $100 I would take it (but, as always, talk him down if possible). That ammo will only go up over time, both because steel core ammo has been banned from importation or manufacture and because Chinese ammo has been banned from importation. Don't worry, it is perfectly legal to own, it just can't be made or imported again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I missed the last part of your post. He did not quote a price he wanted me to make an offer.

Art

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
sorry , i'm haveing 'puter troubles .

it is chinese factory 31 ammo on strippers and yes its steelcore and corrosive primed . i just cant for the life of me remember :mad: its either 66 date ammo or 85 date ammo .

the big question mark is , how was it stored ?

if its from years of storage in an un-climate-controled garage or tin shead , where temps varied from below freezing to +100F , sheeeet , forget that stuff !

if stored at steady temps it'll be good 75 years from now .

what to ask for it ? sorry , the market is fickle . its worth no more to me than other good AK ammo provided proper storage but have you looked on the auction boards lately ?!!! cripe . i thought they were highway robbers untill i trecked out to a store in a neiboring county and saw norinco for $7.99 a box :eek:

tell him $50 a tin for that old , dangerous , banned , evil , ammo and you'll take your chances on wether its any good or not . thats what i do . the sight of fiftydollar bills helps them decide pronto . i've never paid more than that a tin and walk away when i see shead dust and outdoors type spiderwebs .

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Good advice from YODA, but I've seen that stuff fly away at gun shows for $100 a tin, so if he knows it's worth something go higher.

YODA, I want to know where you bought YOURS at... :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will try to get it that cheap but I doubt it. I think that it is gonna take closer to 100 to buy it. He knows what it is unfortunately. I cant guarantee how he stored it but he takes good care of his other stuff so I would think he at least stored this in his house and not in a shed. I will post back this weekend when I find out more from him.

Thanks everyone

Art

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i guess thats not too out of line considering what ive seen since this thread ! :shock:

a good find .

i suggest inspection and re-packing in .50cal cans . if you open the tin from the bottom , it retains some collector value .

i remember paying $300per case for russian HPs back when there was nothing else to shoot .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts