AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut this ammo open to see if it was steel core and found that the tip was hollow and was full of these little round white balls. Before I go shoot a rock to try it out, does anybody have an idea what it is?

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
whoa whoa wait... Don't destroy it.

It might be worth something as a collectable.

What's the headstamp? Where did you get the ammo?

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
I would dispose of all of that ammo safely. Likely booby-trap ammo planted with the intent of destroying the weapon and shooter. Unless someone else has a better explaination, get rid of it.
This article will explain in some detail about these exploding cartridges and AK mags. Your ammo is toward the bottom of page.

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...eption-and-deadliness-meet-inside-a-gun/?_r=0
The stuff was inside the projectile, not the cartridge instead of the gunpowder.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
whoa whoa wait... Don't destroy it.

It might be worth something as a collectable.

What's the headstamp? Where did you get the ammo?
I agree 10G but will you always be there to stop someone from firing that ammo. Soak it in oil and box it up with warnings everywhere for everyone to see!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I would not waste it until you know what it is for sure. I would not shoot it either. Worth some coin probably whatever it is.

Might be some type of incendiary ammo or something similar. Is the projectile closed off on the back?

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
Did you read the entire article?
My F*ing computer crashed when it got halfway through the damn video.. and my browser won't expand the pictures. So no.. I didn't.

Can you C&P where they spiked the projectile vs the powder?

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
My F*ing computer crashed when it got halfway through the damn video.. and my browser won't expand the pictures. So no.. I didn't.

Can you C&P where they spiked the projectile vs the powder?
This is where I got the assumption between hollow projectiles and white crystals with the propellant. Believe me, I am up for a better explaination but I would not take a chance.

"And this leads to questions of safety: How to contain the tactic’s effects? At War photographed one headstamp on a 7.62x39mm cartridge – the standard ammunition for Kalashnikov assault rifles — in which a fine-grain orange powder with white crystals had replaced the standard rifle propellant".

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
Ooooh I think I see what you mean. Kinda like a fake FMJ but instead of having a base like a normal bullet, it's been drilled out to let the propellant in?

OP please please PLEASE Get back in here! Pull the rest of the bullet out of the case and take more pictures. lots of pictures

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Ooooh I think I see what you mean. Kinda like a fake FMJ but instead of having a base like a normal bullet, it's been drilled out to let the propellant in?

OP please please PLEASE Get back in here! Pull the rest of the bullet out of the case and take more pictures. lots of pictures
Exactly!! Man, I really hope he revisits this thread.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am trying to remember some thing about bullets loaded with plastic beads it would make the bullet fragment on impact. but thats all my bean can remember.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
I am trying to remember some thing about bullets loaded with plastic beads it would make the bullet fragment on impact. but thats all my bean can remember.
I like that better than explosives. Try to find pictures and articles to support and get past this.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I was assuming it was frangible, as there are various plastic and wood filled bullets out there, but all this talk of booby traps has me second guessing that!

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Steel Core 7.62x39 AP? [Archive] - Gunboard's Forums by this blog this ammo is just something the Chinese tried just a filler material? to make the bullet tumble better I thought is was similar to shot filled bullets to create maximum lethal impact.
I could not get some of the sites to open but read through it all. It appears that if the head stamps match up, we have an answer and a useable cartridge with reduced velocities.

Thanks for the information....

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
OP, check those head stamps and let us know. Both the article and thread should give an answer..

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
Like it's a mystery SCOOB!

scooby-doo-scooby-doo-25191436-1024-768.jpg

Scooby doobie doooooooo~

Reactions: TRAAK's

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
This comes up once in a while. It's a somewhat uncommon Chinese variant from the early 90s.

They used a lead boattail bullet instead of the more common mild steel flat-based bullet, and the plastic beads were used merely to fill the void in the tip created by the difference in the weights of the materials.

Factory 31 seems to be the only producer, and it will have green sealant on the necks and a production date of 90 to 92.

On the far right in this photo:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts