AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got two similar magazines which I can't identify for sure. The follower seems to be Chinese but the body has not a flatback. No markings visible. Magazine is blued. Any idea?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Definitely not Chinese as they are 2 rib and flatblack. Followers can certainly end up anywhere. Most unmarked mags are Romanian, but I don't think they have that many welds. I'll defer to the spot weld experts who will be along shortly. ;)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
They could potentially be Sino-Soviet magazines. Those have the appearance of Eastern European magazines but they were made in China with the Chinese follower style. Sino-Soviet magazines have “66” in a triangle on the back side of the magazine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have several of these too. They all show evidence of refurbishment (rust marks under the finish etc.). That might explain the late follower. It just got mixed up. They were sold by zib Militaria in boxes with 99% chinese mags and some north koreans. Only way to be 100% sure is a 66 in triangle stamp (chinese) or a star in a circle (north korea). If they miss it i would guess chinese, because they are more common.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think we had a similar batch get imported maybe 8ish years ago. I remember buying a ton of magazines from Aim Surplus. They were mostly Chinese style magazines but they also had Sino-Soviet and North Korean magazines mixed in.

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
There are three types of Chinese 7.62 magazines.

The common spineless rear, open back follower and two horizontal lower ribs.

The sino Soviet with the spine and triangle 66. Otherwise same as Russian style with rear spine etc.

The transitional with raised rear spine and rounded follower but double horizontal lower ribs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
+ 2 different all stamped (with a 3rd subvariant: hole vs. non hole locking lug)

+ flatback with stamped locking lug

+ probably sino-soviet without factory marking

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
^true., I left out the all stamped and partial stamped locking lugs varieties.

Was detailing the three conventional style Chinese.
And of course there is the type 81.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts