AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
I need some prayers sent for my best childhood friend John. He's lying in Allegheny General Hospital ICU right now bleeding into his brain. His wife will soon have to make the decision about removing his breathing tube.

This really hurts me. He was best buddy when we were kids. We used to ride our bikes 10 miles over hills into the countryside to go to a public pool. (Mineral Beach for those of you from the south hills of Pittsburgh.) Our Dads were best friends and Lodge members and both were WWII Vets and active at the local Legion Hall. We grew apart in High School as he gravitated towards being a serious party animal and I was a straight arrow. He and my wife dated for quite some time in high school and then college. That makes me the rebound guy. So She's got mixed feelings here. His wife is disabled and in rough shape herself and has had to care for him for some years now as his alcoholism and smoking wrecked his health. They have no kids.

I'm just hoping he can have a peaceful end after all the turmoil in his life and that his wife will have the strength to carry forwards.

ETA. Of our small circle of friends in HS, it looks like John will be the first of us to pass. It reminding me how old and beat up I am!

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I lost my little brother a month ago. I feel your pain.

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Prayers sent Rich, and I'm sorry to hear about this. :sad:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it'll be over soon. His Rabbi has said the prayers for the dead over him. It was a major hemorrhagic stroke near the brain stem. The area that controls bodily functions was wrecked. Although he had wanted all extreme measures taken, his wife and sister want to let him go as he has no chance of improvement. His sister is a very experienced ER nurse so I would trust her judgment.

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Damn.. :sad:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. This is complicated. We were the best of friends as kids, but grew apart as young adults since I didn't care for his life style choices. He was dating my wife back in HS and college and then cheated on her to be with the woman he later married. So my wife has no desire to go to the funeral as she could care less about his wife. I can understand that completely. His wife still hasn't pulled the plug on him. She's working to get him declared brain dead so he can max out his organ donations. I expect it'll all be over tomorrow for him. Just machines keeping him going right now.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
I feel your pain prayers sent. I know its hard. My dad passed away in my arms after 15 mins.+ of cpr . I still have bad dreams of my mom running and yelling for me to help. Its good he can live on helping others with his organs. We will all be in his shoes one day.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still waiting to hear the final news.

I have to wonder how many organs a guy with kidney trouble and liver failure and a bad heart can contribute. If she holds a service for him, I'll take the 500 mile motorcycle ride up there to say goodbye.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My heart felt condolences and prayers sent to all affected.
I know how it feels to loose a lifelong friend.
Stay strong

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He managed to stagger along for a day after support was pulled. Passed this morning. 'Been thinking about the road trip we took together after HS graduation just before I went to boot camp. Good memories.

Then just to prove how life can throw curves at you, an old friend from the CVN -69 contacted me last night and said his boss at the shipyard wants to see my resume'. Looks like I have a foot in the door to go back to earning my keep testing out enginerooms for Uncle Sam. This may prove interesting!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys!

My wife just handed me a check this evening to put in my account to cover the trip for the funeral. Looks like everything is working itself out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Man, did that hit home as I have a friend headed in that direction right now with the alcohol problems and getting older. My heart aches for your loss prayers sent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts