AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys have chickens and kids? We got a few chickens. Now we have 20 or so and a pair of geese to watch over the chickens. My youngest son is in FFA and he has gotten into showing chickens and his geese. He won about 100 bucks or so and 11 ribbons with them in our county fair. He just called me from a regional fair today and all of them won ribbons except one. That's 10 more ribbons and probably 150 bucks or so. Its off to the state fair now. :D

I guess they have more uses than food and eggs. Big plus is I live in the woods and I no longer have ticks in the yard. That's a big wooooo hooo if you live in the woods you know what im talking about.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I have about 35 chickens. About 15 are Silkies that I use for their strong brooding instinct, so they take care of the incubation and raising of new chicks, 6 Amucanas for eggs (people love the different shades of blue and green eggs they lay) and Black/Blue/Splash Orpingtons for selling and eggs. Several other neighbors have hens and roosters as well, so if SHTF we have a decent food supply. We have a new shed built which we then converted into a coop for them divided into 4 rooms with each one having their own fenced in run then can go in and out of. As for pest control, their great, just let them free range and they do the job. Just have to stay near them with a rifle to deter predators.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Depends on the goose...this little guy wasn't having any of this Bobcats shit...
Goose Takes On Bobcat - CBS News Video
I ride my 4 wheeler to feed my chicken and put them up @ night. The geese attack the 4 wheeler sometime. They are almost fearless. I live in the middle of 89 acres on the river. I have not lost a chicken yet to anything other than a owl or hawk. I have foxes , coons, opossums, coyotes,bobcats, & strays.

This is my favorite goose attack video.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
We have chickens and kids, the kids are still pretty young but my son can retrive eggs, let them out and sometimes get them back in the pin. The chickens love the kids for some reason, they will follow me around the yard when I am out and about. We are in a sub division with a fairly small yard so we only have two chickens, we started out with four and two where roosters so we got rid of them and got two more. One was killed by the dog and the other died of heat exhaustion. I probably wont get any more for awhile till I at least get out of the Navy and we buy a bigger house. I would like to have around 10-20 of them and a rooster. They make great fertlizer for the yard and keep the bugs down!

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fair season is over. My son did good I think for his first year showing his birds. Got all of these from Local county fair thru FFA, Regional fair thru FFA, and the State fair.

Three breeds of chickens and a pair of white geese. The male and female geese took grand champions. Guess I cant eat them huh?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
A neighbor is going to pay me to look after their chickens for a month this summer. It should be an interesting chance to see what is involved.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I /we keep our feed mixed up. I give mine scraps of food left over from lunch here and dinner @ home. I also give them crushed oyster shell, oat seeds, cheap dog food (they go crazy for it) and cracked corn. They are also let out in the morning to range all day. I have not ticks or ants in the yard I have also not had to weed eat around any trees all year. They keep them spotless. I have a huge yard about 2 1/2 acres so the poop is spread out. ;) They don't run off in the woods like one would think they would. We have so many eggs now we have to give them away. Everyone who gets them saves us there old bread and cereal to feed. Works out good for everyone.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have been wanting to get a few chickens for awhile now. Just need to find the motivation to build the coop.
Some advice, make a covered run and put a small coop on/in it. I went about it wrong and built a chicken McMansion coop (6'x10'x3') for a flock of seven with a non-covered run. Not sure where you live, but if it snows to any significant amount, the covered run will be very useful as they don't like to be in the coop other than for sleeping/laying eggs. Even in the winter they'll want to be outside but not in the snow or on frozen ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
Not to digress from the original topic, but...

in Ohio, if you have chickens and sell the eggs, and the chicken coop is attached to your business building, you get a tax break.
Can't remember how much or what is involved. It has been a long time since I ran into that information.
Might be worth looking into if you have a business located in Ohio.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Depends on the goose...this little guy wasn't having any of this Bobcats shit...
Goose Takes On Bobcat - CBS News Video
I agree... I've seen geese fight cattle/bulls...they roll with attitude, not intelligence.:)
What about the guy saying bobcats attack and kill full grown deer? Our bobcats eat mice, quail and rabbits, those California bobcats, well I'm just gonna call :bsflag:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Wow, great thread. Evidently I need chickens. And a goose. And some children to mind them.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
You'd actually be surprised how entertaining chickens can be. Rare one that is actually smart but never the less, they all have their individual personalities. Make sure they get use to you handling them as chicks and when they grow up they'll be liable to fly up on your arms or back and settle down for a bit whenever you go in the pen.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You'd actually be surprised how entertaining chickens can be. Rare one that is actually smart but never the less, they all have their individual personalities. Make sure they get use to you handling them as chicks and when they grow up they'll be liable to fly up on your arms or back and settle down for a bit whenever you go in the pen.
I have one that comes running when ever I start up my 4 wheeler. he ride on the rack to the shop where I load up two feed buckets. He gets in them and eats on the way to the pen. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts