AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than buy and MAK90 and a VEPR, I decided to go with a cheap Romy alternative as a "shooter" 7.62 rifle...

1. Kvar US black poly furniture set - right around $100 shipped.
2. Copes Dist package deal - kit and G2 FCG for $130ish shipped.
3. NDS/DCI Economy AKM receiver - predrilled for Romy trunnions - $55 shipped.

Total damage - $285ish total for kit, receiver and proper number of complaince parts. :twisted:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just need to figure out who will be building it... :oops:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have any of the tools. No squeezers, no jigs, no headspacing gauges....

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
I don't have any of the tools. No squeezers, no jigs, no headspacing gauges....
if your using a ready made reciever you don't need special tools, just a modded bolt cutter to crush rivets. If the kit is a demill, it's already headspaced.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Its cheaper and way more fun to build it yourself. My tool cache contains a modified bolt cutter, vise, bunch of punches, files, drill bits, hammers, etc. I'm a finish carpenter, the only thing I had to buy to be able to build was the bolt cutters. Pretty common, basic tools are all that's needed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't I still have to remove the barrel pin and press off the trunnion?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
Yes but with fifty bucks or so in tools you can do it, use a pulley puller ($20.00) to remove the barrel, for the barrel pin all you need is a bottle of kroil penetrating oil($8.00), let it soak a week in the cold garage, then use a punch and a min. 3 pound hammer and the pin will come out, worst case senerieo would be that you would have to drill the barrel pin out and buy a new one ($3.00). To squeeze the rivets all you need is a pair of bolt cutters which you can modify yourself ($15.00). To put the barrel in all you need is a hammer. Its real easy and you save lots of money doing it yourself. For a receiver this new dci receiver you dont even need to drill the holes its already done for you. Ewbanks is the same way just needs more tweaking. McM

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone have a rivet jig and rivet squeezer I can rent?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
this is pretty simple,...

i use a cut up washer to keep the trunnion level on the anvil part of the vice when hammering the pin out

a 12in. brass drift to knock the barrel out of the trunnion

and a 16oz orange plastic, dead blow,.. ball peen hammer,..you can either use it for baby taps of pound on something like it owes you money,.it wont bounce back and wont F anything up if you hit the kit/thumb/hand/guy accros the room :wink:

definatly use some penatrating oil,. and let soak for at least 48hrs.
i have removed pins and barrels out of 4 romy "g" kits,. 2 bulgy 74 kits,.1 saiga,.and one M-92 Krink kit in this mannor.

worked like a charm each and every time.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you get the squeezers in the right position to rivet in the trigger guard/selector stop?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts