AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

So I think I'm going to take the plunge into the "tactical" AK world. I've decided on the following:

Vltor stock extension
MagPul MOE stock
Izzy Grip
Ultimak gas tube rail
Vltor off set light mount
Surefire G2L
Blackjack SWIFT lever
PWS compensator

Later additions:
Aimpoint T-/H-1
PWS FSC-47

Now my question is: What rifle to build this on? I'm leaning towards something I can buy that is built - i.e. no kits. Here are the ones I'm looking at:

WASR series - I'm hearing good things about the 10/63s out there now
Saiga conversion - I need just a basic conversion - who has the best price?
Vector gun - which one for a base?

All I really, really want is something that is reliable and put together correctly plus has a chromelined barrel.

What do you guys think?

Spooky

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
No reason not to use a WASR - hopefully one that you can vet to your satisfaction first.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got all the big hitters in this thread! I was actually looking at the WASRs from Henderson. Can't go wrong with them inspecting each rifle before shipping. What is the cheapest you have seen a Saiga conversion going for lately? IIRC the base gun is about $350 and the conversion has to be more than $80. And what are the chances of the SLR108 coming out from Arsenal?

Spooky

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
The problem, as I see it, with buying a converted SAIGA is who did the conversion and how well was it done?

Honestly, I think you'd be well served with a professionally inspected WASR.

When they're put together right, they run great. No dimples on the receiver, but as long as the magazines aren't so loose that they're flopping in the breeze, you should be good to go.

As far as the SLR-108's coming out or not, I've been holding my breath for 3 years now. If and when they do come out, they're going to be double what a WASR-10 is running, and probably out of the price range that you've set for yourself. I'd honestly look at the SLR-107F before the 108.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Templar said:
The problem, as I see it, with buying a converted SAIGA is who did the conversion and how well was it done?

Honestly, I think you'd be well served with a professionally inspected WASR.

When they're put together right, they run great. No dimples on the receiver, but as long as the magazines aren't so loose that they're flopping in the breeze, you should be good to go.

As far as the SLR-108's coming out or not, I've been holding my breath for 3 years now. If and when they do come out, they're going to be double what a WASR-10 is running, and probably out of the price range that you've set for yourself. I'd honestly look at the SLR-107F before the 108.
I also think the converted Saigas are much more than the other models listed. I've got a Saiga that Chris Butler converted to AK104 style and it is well done but the conversion cost way more than the SLR107CRs are running. I am not holding my breath on the 108s - I've seen their status as "coming soon" for three years as well. This would be AK #13 so I'm really not hurting for a particular model... Maybe I'll just tinker with my SLR105 and see if I like all the extras first...

Spooky

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Templar said:
Exactly.

You've got this level of cheap-o (make sure to look at the pictures) workmanship, and then a couple weeks after that showed up, someone mentioned they got a preconverted Saiga where the bullet guide was GLUED in place (it had fallen out, of course).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nalioth said:
Templar said:
Exactly.

You've got this level of cheap-o (make sure to look at the pictures) workmanship, and then a couple weeks after that showed up, someone mentioned they got a preconverted Saiga where the bullet guide was GLUED in place (it had fallen out, of course).
Like I said, I've had experience with one Saiga conversion and that was from Chris Butler - pretty reputable and he did an awesome job.

Spooky

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I vote a home saiga conversion. Its easy.

This is my Saiga 223 conversion "practical" rifle:

·
Banned
2,035 Posts
I'd start with a Saiga . You can "ground up" build it however you want . There's several threads here on what's needed for the basic's and a few boy's that don't mind answering questions .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts