AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Saiga Modern (Kalashnikov upgraded by RCW Group) AK47
My rounds are ejecting to about 4 oclock and way to high. You can see where it is hitting my Texas Weapons System receiver cover.
I've read you can change the height angle by doing some light filing on the extractor face itself. I am unclear exactly where you need to file. Is it the points them selves or under the lip? It's also hitting towards the back of the opening, it's not as severe but you can see where it is slightly rounding the edge of the metal. I've attached pictures so you can see the damage and the type of extractor I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I plan on cerakoting the receiver/cover and would like to get this fixed so it doesn't damage the coating.
Thank you in advance

P9270146.JPG P9270147.JPG P9270148.JPG

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Just FYI the ejector is part of the receiver, the part on the bolt is the extractor. Your ejector is on the left side rail of the receiver, it projects out prominently. It's front edge is what kicks the casing out of the bolt face, and changing its angle of presentation from 90 degrees (to the bore) will probably change where your brass goes. I would not recommend this approach however, you'd be much better off putting some kind of buffer or padding of the top cover. I have seen people use strips of plastic that are sold for automotive windows, looks like it will just clip right on to your topcover once you cut the material to length.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
I am not sure how much an extractor would cost you but if is not much you could buy one and do some filing.
Where the ejector will force the shell out the extractor does hold the shell in place and by changing the angle of this area
you could conceivably change the angle of ejection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just FYI the ejector is part of the receiver, the part on the bolt is the extractor. Your ejector is on the left side rail of the receiver, it projects out prominently. It's front edge is what kicks the casing out of the bolt face, and changing its angle of presentation from 90 degrees (to the bore) will probably change where your brass goes. I would not recommend this approach however, you'd be much better off putting some kind of buffer or padding of the top cover. I have seen people use strips of plastic that are sold for automotive windows, looks like it will just clip right on to your topcover once you cut the material to length.
Oops.. yea, I know better, that's what I get for making the post before I'm fully awake. Corrected my post.
I'll try the trim trick until I get it fixed but as much as the case is hitting the cover, I'm almost afraid that the thickness of the trim might actually hang the brass enough to jam up. I know you can change the vertical angle the case comes out by filing on the extractor just like a 1911, just need to know exactly where they make the modification. The document I read about it in said to file on the face of the extractor, I just need to know what they consider the face...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Ohh man youd hate FALs! Haha

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Well.. maybe, maybe not, but what does that have to do with me fine tuning my rifle?
You have obviously never seen a FAL eject a cartridge. The only thing that's more violent is a roller delayed gun. Brass marks all up on those things.

I wouldn't suggest messing with any of it unless you're prepared for the possibility that you're going to cause a whole lot more problems than you fix. I'm going to agree that padding would be the best fix. Watch some slow-motion videos of the AK ejecting and you'll see what you're dealing with. You'll also run into the issue of variation in ammo that can change ejection too. The ejection process is not gentle on a AK and usually the shell is almost 180 degrees from its start before it makes it out of the receiver. The ejector just kind of nicks the rim to knock it out and due to the induces a lot of spin which is what causes it to hit all over the place. It's just part of the way it's built.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You guys keep bringing up the FAL... The way the brass comes out of that is the nature of the beast for that rifle and is expected. But that really has nothing to do with the question about my rifle.. If you didn't know the answer to my question, there was really no need to respond. I don't need to know about how another rifle ejects brass..

An AK will eject brass without it hitting the cover and there is ways to adjust the way the spent brass comes out. You can change the angle, both vertically and horizontally. Your responses to just deal with it or stick some cheap plastic car trim on it just amazes me. My AK isn't a cheap $300 kit build and I prefer to have it working correctly.

Well, long story short, I found the answer to my question on another forum and I fixed the problem, it no longer hits the cover, so this topic can be close/locked/archived.....

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Hey I didn't try to slight you or bring another rifle into the question. I was going to answer I consider the face of the extractor to be between
it and the bolt face. I am very much interested in the answer you found. If you wish for these others not to know the answer you found
send it to me in a PM. I am interested!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
You guys keep bringing up the FAL... The way the brass comes out of that is the nature of the beast for that rifle and is expected. But that really has nothing to do with the question about my rifle.. If you didn't know the answer to my question, there was really no need to respond. I don't need to know about how another rifle ejects brass..

An AK will eject brass without it hitting the cover and there is ways to adjust the way the spent brass comes out. You can change the angle, both vertically and horizontally. Your responses to just deal with it or stick some cheap plastic car trim on it just amazes me. My AK isn't a cheap $300 kit build and I prefer to have it working correctly.

Well, long story short, I found the answer to my question on another forum and I fixed the problem, it no longer hits the cover, so this topic can be close/locked/archived.....
It amazes me how many people show up here and get pissed when they ask for advice and don't get what they want to hear. The FAL was brought up because it has a similar ejection issue and I clarified that for you. No need to get your shit in a bunch over that.

I wouldn't tell anyone to start screwing with their ejector without knowing they had the capability to properly do this and not end up with a gun that stove pipes. It does not take much for the ejector to start kicking casing out incorrectly. Tiny peens on the tip of the ejector can literally ruin a gun and I've seen it countless times. Thus my caution saying, hey start filing away and bending that shit, who the hell cares? Plus, then you're going to insult probably 60% of the people on this forum, myself included, saying we have some cheap, shitty kit builds. I put more time into my builds than most factories put into 10 they build because I love doing it and so do most of the people on here.

There is a really great DIY spirit coming into firearms lately, but at the same time, it's also a cockiness of thinking that everyone is capable of putting together firearms from scratch almost. So again, excuse me for not just saying go balls out and fuck up your rifle when I had no idea of your experience. Enjoy your masterpiece by RWC and I hope that there are others willing to help you in the future, because I'm tired of trying to help out new people and getting a bunch of bullshit in return for my time. You guys go file, dremel, and drill all over your rifles to your hearts content. I'll be here with my $300 pile of crap kit builds.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Where do you think all the cockiness to build the BMG or the AK came from? Certainly wasn't from sitting on the
flintlock.

There is a really great DIY spirit coming into firearms lately, but at the same time, it's also a cockiness of thinking that everyone is capable of putting together firearms from scratch almost. So again, excuse me for not just saying go balls out and fuck up your rifle when I had no idea of your experience. Enjoy your masterpiece by RWC and I hope that there are others willing to help you in the future, because I'm tired of trying to help out new people and getting a bunch of bullshit in return for my time. You guys go file, dremel, and drill all over your rifles to your hearts content. I'll be here with my $300 pile of crap kit builds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It amazes me how many people show up here and get pissed when they ask for advice and don't get what they want to hear. The FAL was brought up because it has a similar ejection issue and I clarified that for you.
Who's pissed off? I just don't think bringing up the FAL has anything to do with the issue I'm having with my rifle.

I wouldn't tell anyone to start screwing with their ejector without knowing they had the capability to properly do this and not end up with a gun that stove pipes. It does not take much for the ejector to start kicking casing out incorrectly. Tiny peens on the tip of the ejector can literally ruin a gun and I've seen it countless times. Thus my caution saying, hey start filing away and bending that shit, who the hell cares?
I do most of the work on all my guns. If I didn't feel comfortable doing the job required, it would go to a gunsmith to insure it's done correctly. I didn't realize I was required to post my resume to get an answer to my question.

Plus, then you're going to insult probably 60% of the people on this forum, myself included, saying we have some cheap, shitty kit builds. I put more time into my builds than most factories put into 10 they build because I love doing it and so do most of the people on here.
I don't see where I said everyone here has a cheap kit build.. I said I don't have a cheap kit build. And I also put more time into working on my guns then most as I also love doing it. How would you feel if I answered a question from you with "deal with it or use some crappy cheap trim" when there is a way to fix it? Kind of insulting isn't it?

Seems to me your the one with your panties in a wad....

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Maybe I am because, we have had a rash a new guys show up here with pissy attitudes about things when everyone here generally tries to help. I feel like I gave you some pretty good initial responses and clarified that it could be a lot of hassle of you weren't prepared to deal with that. You could have easily told me you didn't mind and the discussion could have continued. I'm not going to dive into something that could cause your gun to be a jam o matic unless I know you're prepared. No resume required, but you'd be surprised at the sort of I'll prepared "gun smithing" I've seen recently. You then were insulted apparently because you didn't immediately get the answer you wanted.

And yeah, maybe I'm being unpleasant today which is very unlike me, but I also was giving a genuine attempt to help and you got an attitude about it. I never mind assisting anyone and I love tackling efficiency projects, but you very clearly didn't want to hear what I had to say, so I'm glad you got it fixed, but maybe slow down a bit next time and not get bent out of shape because you didn't get the answer first response.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The reason I made that suggestion was because in your original post you couldn't correctly identify the difference between an extractor and an ejector. I surmised from that you'd be best served by not filling away material and potentially ruining your rifle- this was done in your best interest. We give away advice for free here, but you certainly don't have to take it.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Funny I didn't know you can piss off 60% of AK people by saying their rifles are junk. Most already gripe about canted sights, WASR's, the Yugo's and the softened bolts, not being able to
run over them, plus 4 MOA at 25 yards, mags to tight, mags to loose. Like I said funny.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Dusty bones, you came here for advice. Open your mind and listen to these guys as other rifles ejection patterns have a lot to do with your rifle. If you can't see that then you need to slow down and understand. Also, what Im almost positive that you don't understand is that if you start messing with your extractor, good luck finding another one. Saiga bolt parts are different from other AKs and I've seen guys part out whole saigas just to get the correct bolt parts.

So, chill out and relax. I'll even give you a "please" if it helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts