AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Yugo O-PAP M70 today that I had ordered. At first glance it looked pretty decent.

Then I went to disassemble it and found that the recoil spring assembly is stuck in the bolt carrier.

No joke. I don't even really see how this is possible, but the monkey that replaced the gas piston somehow managed to capture the recoil spring assembly in the process. No amount of tugging or twisting will allow it to come loose. I'm sure if I pulled hard enough I could get it loose, but then it wouldn't be covered under warranty. The money who installed the gas piston screwed it all the way down so there is absolutely zero wobble. Then I think he pinned or welded it from one side only.

You can see the gas piston threads through the hole in the other side of the carrier.

Whoever did this piston install then must have figured that it's not acceptable to have any bit of the gas piston shoulder (right above the threads) hanging over the end of the carrier, so he ground the crap out of everything. The diameter is visually smaller than the same area on my other O-PAP and my N-PAP. He even took the grinder to the stem of the gas piston.

There is also burr between the front sight and the slant brake that's preventing the slant brake from rotating off. As a final bonus, the FSB is obviously canted to the left. So much so that the adjusting slide that holds the front sight post is below flush on the left side of the FSB. I have to give credit where credit is due. Whoever was installing the FSB at Zastava screwed that one up. I'm an amature and can install a FSB straight. You'd think that the person doing this at the factory could do it right.

On the positive side, the FSB is cut for night sights unlike my other O-PAP and N-PAP which were not.

I'm going to call the company I ordered from and tell them I want to send this monkey job back. I really don't want to deal directly with Century.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I just don't see how somebody could possibly do that on accident.
Seems like a disgruntled little monkey if ya ask me.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The company I bought it from said that they couldn't take it back and it would have to be taken care of under warranty. They gave me Century's phone number and I have them a call. The lady that I spoke with emailed me a prepaid shipping label. I shipped the rifle off today with a letter detailing the problems and telling them that I want it replaced. Although they should replace it, I'm not holding my breath. I'll let ya'll know how things turn out.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
They'll replace it. If it's one thing that CAI has got right over the years it's returns and replacement of rifles. LOTS of practice. LOTS.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The recoil spring on my O-PAP was stuck pretty good as well. The end of the spring was covered in thick cosmoline and the inside of the bolt carrier was full of it as well.
Did you check your firing pin? Mine was full of cosmoline and needed to be cleaned. Additionally the shepherds hood was "free floating" around the inside of the receiver.

Everything is fixed up now but it did take some time, overall I think the O-PAP is a quality AK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts