AK Rifles banner

Century DC Industries M70AB2 - Stamp Question

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  DispositionMatrix 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a century M70AB2 and after looking at stamps online I don’t see photos with similar placement. There are no markings on the sides or trunnion only serial numbers. Can anyone shed some light on why they are under the receiver or if you have something similar

#2 ·
Basically, Federal law requires the importer/builder to have certain information to be present on the firearm such as caliber, company name and city and state, some sort of serial number and probably model number somewhere on the part of the gun that they recognize as the gun, namely the receiver. Fortunately, Century Arms in your case, put it where it would be as unobtrusive as possible. Not that that was necessarily their motive. It is quite common.
Some Yugo's have a serial number on the trunnion as you've seen. You can have anything stamped or engraved wherever you want it now that it's in your hands of course. Post some more pics when you get a chance.

#3 ·
Century and other builders remove the factory serial numbers from kit trunnions during the manufacturing process.
They are encouraged to do so by the ATF as the extra set of numbers makes tracing more confusing for L-E agencies.
The markings on the bottom of the receiver are how that gun was entered in the manufacturers bound book, which is where any trace starts.

Richard

#4 ·
Thanks for that explanation, Richard. Manufacturers like Childers and Morrissey for example place their own markings on the receivers they build. Therefore, my M72B1 kit when completed will have Childers Gun's name and location on the bottom of the receiver as well as the factory serial number on the trunnion. Should they need to include the guns actual serial number with their info as well? I ask because my Romanian Atlantic Arms built rifle which retains the factory trunnion marking has the guns complete information including the serial number along with Morrissey's name and location on the bottom. I can understand the confusion if there were different serial numbers in different locations, but I also noticed you did state they are encouraged, rather than required. I did read some of this on other threads some time ago. I should revisit those and I encourage the OP to as well. Thanks.

#9 ·
There are plenty of guns, Yugo's included, with stampings on the bottom for various reasons. I was wondering about your selector markings and if you had the Zastava---Yugoslavia script on the rear sight base. It doesn't look like it in your picture. Likewise, I can't tell if anything has been removed. Although, when a kit is built with virgin parts for instance, there won't be any stamping on the Trunnion or RSB unless the builder does them. Plenty of people add them themselves. There are threads about that aplenty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.