AK Rifles banner

Century AKML??!!!! Wtf is it?

19K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  stoyan79 
#1 · (Edited)
Was there a milled version? What is this? import or one of their own creations.

great scope though.

Century International Arms

#2 ·
Definitely their own creation. The milled receiver stands out as the piece that doesn't fit the picture. Can someone who can log in look at the price? Sure would like to pick up a Polish NSP-3 scope to go with my AKMŁ, AKMSŁ and wz88-N.

#5 · (Edited)
Confirmed - Century has imported a bunch of Polish and Hungarian AKM kits that they will be building on milled receivers. Somebody finally figured out that it required less time and skill to assemble a milled receiver gun than it did to fabricate a stamped/riveted receiver, and in theory this should result in a more consistent product.

How nice for them, but the rest of us will have to confront these abominations online, in stores and at the range. Yech! Really looking forward to hearing some firing line dufus bragging about how his milled receiver CAI gun is inherently more accurate than whichever finely crafted clone I'm shooting.

But to look at it on the bright side (for me, much brighter), I would be pissed as hell if they came out with a detail-correct version of the AKMŁ (or AKMSŁ) a week before the pair Two Rivers is building arrive.

#6 ·
Confirmed - Century has imported a bunch of Polish and Hungarian AKM kits that they will be building on milled receivers. Somebody finally figured out that it required less time and skill to assemble a milled receiver gun than it did to fabricate a stamped/riveted receiver, and in theory this should result in a more consistent product.

How nice for them, but the rest of us will have to confront these abominations online, in stores and at the range. Yech!
Agreed. I'm not a fan of a rifle built with a milled US receiver and barrel. Just doesn't seem like there any authenticity to it. But it does seem that there is a market for it. The milled century 1960 polish that came out years ago has been pretty decent and seems to hold a high dollar value.

Lets just hope that their builds on the milled receivers retain at least some of the looks of a combloc ak. Unlike their centurion 39.

#7 ·
The 1960 Polish seemed to be one of those rare CAI projects that turned out pretty good, just like some of their M70 series and I'm sure, others. But it was a whole different proposition, if I recall correctly, using fairly intact kits and imported barrels - perhaps even some were made with the correct type with the conical muzzle thread. REALLY wish I could find one of those specialized barrels to go with a nice kit I found!

#10 ·
Forgot to mention, the price is $1800. I can't imagine that they used the two-piece screwed/staked and riveted rails, so I wonder where those are going...

#18 ·
What are the odds that they just picked up the scopes and are using the run of the mill cut barrel kits , not kits from real AKML or AKMSL rifles?

#12 ·
Huh? Your old eyes must be a lot better than my old eyes, or you've found a bigger/more detailed picture. Seems like the profile is a little low, that's all I can see.

#13 ·
No, I blew it up to check the optics rail design. But, I think you can see the top cover anyway, don't I see an ejection port, haha? Must be a composite image, and not the real deal? They didnt have a left side view, so they did the "next best thing".

#15 ·
This is a US made milled receiver. The rifle is actually fantastic looking, and I will post pictures of it tonight if I can get to it. I picked one up from Century 2 weeks ago. The bad news is they do not have the batteries imported yet, and they are holding the scope hostage until they get them here. Estimated time of arrival 4-8 weeks. Although not a "real" akml rifle, it seems to be well built and I actually like it. I have not shot it yet due to the horrible weather/winter here in Pittsburgh, but I will as soon as I get a chance.

So why did I buy it? I was looking for a milled AK just because I wanted one, and the scope is awesome, put 2 and 2 together and it was easy for me to pull the trigger.

#17 ·
This is a US made milled receiver. The rifle is actually fantastic looking, and I will post pictures of it tonight if I can get to it. I picked one up from Century 2 weeks ago. The bad news is they do not have the batteries imported yet, and they are holding the scope hostage until they get them here. Estimated time of arrival 4-8 weeks. Although not a "real" akml rifle, it seems to be well built and I actually like it. I have not shot it yet due to the horrible weather/winter here in Pittsburgh, but I will as soon as I get a chance.

So why did I buy it? I was looking for a milled AK just because I wanted one, and the scope is awesome, put 2 and 2 together and it was easy for me to pull the trigger.
I bet you have a great time with your new purchase. Post some pics and impressions when you get the entire package together.
The 1960 milled Polish AK I own is one of only 3 Century rifles I have and it as always been accurate and fun to shoot.

#21 ·
Only differences between the standard and "Ł" rifles are the mounts, the flash suppressors and in the case of the AKMS, the left side of the folding stock.

#25 · (Edited)
if you want, you can send them to me direct from your phone via e-mail to tantal@sbcglobal.net and I'll post them on my server for you. I'm far from an expert, but I don't think there's a good way for you to post them directly to this site using your iPhone.

We all look forward to seeing them!

Only differences between the standard and "Ł" rifles are the mounts, the flash suppressors and in the case of the AKMS, the left side of the folding stock.
Well, IMO, not completely. Why did we want to know if they were built from real AKML's or not? Because if they are, then they should have matching numbers on the boxes, the scopes, the scope rails, the parts on the rifle, and have the correct rail design, all of which making them much more desirable and worth a metric ton more to a collector than a rifle built using a spare scope and flash hider, and who knows what kind of scope rail. It would definitely be worth buying one that's all matching just to rebuild using a correct Polish sheet metal receiver. If it's just mismatched parts they put together, not so much, although it would still be great to have one just as it sits. I just wish I had the money.

#26 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Those help but they don't really show the rail type too well, maybe on purpose. It does not look at all correct. I'm unfamiliar with a P-coded Polish NSP-3A, it might be pre-1979. Madwiese, if possible we need to know the serial number of your scope and the dates of inspection/certification in your scope's passport. Thanks!

#27 ·
Tantal, I sent you the pictures of the rifle, like I posted earlier my scope is still being held hostage by century. I don't think it is built from a parts kit, but I am by no means any kind of am expert, honestly this is only my second ak, the first being a 74. Even as a dealer I have never sold them until recently. However it is a really pretty rifle and I like it.

#29 ·
Yes, sir, it's a really nice looking rifle, looks nicer than the one in the auction. I'm jealous, these milled receiver Poles are some of the better rifles Century has ever come out with. Thanks for sharing with us.

Looks like the rail is a one-off guys. Might have been made by the same company that made the receivers. It does look nice, though. No ugly rivets showing.

#34 ·
I figured it was part of the receiver as it looks like it. It's interesting. I don't know if I like that or not.

I like the gun. Looks pretty clean. It looks like you got pretty lucky with the low serial number. Is the barrel a ak47 barrel or a AKM barrel?

#33 ·
Does that gunbroker auction reflect the going rate on these?

If it was cheap enough, hell I'd get one, refinish it, slap some beautiful wood on there, and pretend it is one of these -

Too bad they arent made on a stamped receiver

#38 · (Edited)
I see exactly what you see, it looks to be machined right into the receiver as part of it, just as you said. Thanks for those close-up shots, very illuminating. You can see the swirls in the receiver where they went around and formed the contours of the rail with an end mill, and also a fillet where the rail meets the receiver surface. No wonder these are expensive rifles. Thank you very much for your time and efforts, you certainly didnt have to do that so I appreciate the extra work.

#40 · (Edited)
Welcome to the site, man! You're already a valuable contributing member!

Guys, i would almost bet all of Centuries future milled receiver rifles will have this rail on them now. It just makes sense from a practical, marketing viewpoint, to keep up with the X-PAP's and Saiga's, plus they are already set up for them now.

And like AZAK mentioned, i bet in the future they are gonna build all their future US-receiver AK's with this milled receiver, now that they have one that's fully "stamped kit" compatible. It's just so much easier to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.