Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Bulgy (with all matching parts)

Votes: 11 73.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im rebuilding a Century AK-74 that had an issue with key-holing.

Im ready to put a front trunnion back in so I can finish it, but I can't decide on what trunnion to use.

The trunnion that came in the rifle is perfectly serviceable, but all the normal Bulgy markings have been scrubbed. The bolt and carrier do match.

I also have a complete set of matching serial numbered parts (bolt, carrier, top cover, front trunnion) that I could put on the rifle to make everything match.

I put a US made chrome lined barrel in place of the century non-chrome barrel, if that makes any difference to you.

So what do you guys think?

thanks!
Clay

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Not sure it matters much. Do whatever works for you. Did you demill the trunnion already. If it is still riveted to the receiver., just leave it., and push the barrel in, headspace and get r done.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, its already out. I had to remove it to be honest. The Century monkeys didn't get any of the rivet holes dimpled for the swell necks, and 3 of the 4 rivets were loose.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I would just use the scrubbed trunnion.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Have the scrubbed trunnion remarked as an Izzy and number it to the bolt and carrier. Save the other set that already matches for another build.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have the scrubbed trunnion remarked as an Izzy and number it to the bolt and carrier. Save the other set that already matches for another build.
Where do I send the trunnion?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I know there are folks on this forum that do that or know who does, maybe someone will join into the discussion. I would not be surprised if a local company that does engraving might be able to handle a job like that.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
To remove the serial number from the trunnion because the new serial number is on the receiver shell when they are rebuilt. For a commercial rebuild having two different serial numbers would not work. They mill the side of the trunnion flat all the way across taking all markings off.

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
I would use the trunion it came with because the bolt is fitted to it already. The new trunion may not have as much contact with the bolt's locking lugs.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
I would use the trunion it came with because the bolt is fitted to it already. The new trunion may not have as much contact with the bolt's locking lugs.
The trunnion is scrubbed per the OP. It may or my not be original. With the new barrel and headspace it makes no difference.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I now recall a forum member by the name of Serzant, he did remarking using stamps and the ones I saw on here looked good. Unfortunately I have not seen Serzant post anything in a long time. The method he uses was less perfect then the engraved markings but actually looked more realistic to factory stampings

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Serzant did a pretty good job., it does not really match original in terms of depth. I have examples of his work.. But in reality attempting to stamp heat treated parts is difficult at best. Correct stamps, durable construction of the stamps and a high pressure method to apply the stamps is needed.
Engraving is much quicker and more common and practical.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah I think thats what Im going to do. Just need to find somewhere to send the darn thing ;)

AK building is making me more patient, well, more or less anyway.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts