AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and I've browsed through the archives but haven't noticed much posted about AKs used in Latin America...namely from the civil wars in Nicaragua and El Salvador. Have any of those AK's (seems mostly came via Cuba via China and the Eastern Communist States) ever shown up for sale in the US...demilled, of course.

Seems many were captured and I'd figure they'd be sent North to buyers and collectors. Everyone seems to chat about captured PLO rifles, etc but I've never seen AKs used in El Salvador...or for that matter Africa.

Why is that?

Maybe I just don' know enough about my AK history, parlance, or for that matter, how guns move across borders.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
The PLO rifles were captured by Israelis and then sold over here; in South America there's no one doing that in the conflicts down there. Captured weapons are put into use by their own side or destroyed outright.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I believe that AK's in Africa would also be distrubuted to the Military or sold outright to fund the Military.
There is a pretty good sized black market in weapons due to the chaos in Libya. There are even several hundred Shoulder fired SAM's that haven't been accounted for.
Google would be a good tool to research this a bit further.
I wrote a paper based on some of the research I found on those SAM's and the thought of them making it up the same routes drugs have been traded and in to Europe is pretty scarey. An amazing amount of documentation about it is out there too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems so. I guess you wouldn't call arms trafficking on Israel but I guess there is no need to move weapons to North America or out of Africa when they can be used locally. I'd be fascinated in finding weapons and hardware used in the said civil wars. I'd imagine would stocks personally carved, etc. Some guy was selling furniture for an AK with stickers and whatnot claiming they were from the Yugoslav war. Interesting to see what fighters do to their weapons.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
People talk about the PLOs a lot for two main reasons:
1) Original Barrels
2) A lot of rare rifles were included

1 - 5 of 5 Posts