AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do yourself a favor and don't order from these clowns. They have a 3% fee for using a credit card if you order off the internet, but the only way you can order off the internet is to use a credit card. Nowhere in the checkout is there any mention of this fee. In fact, the only place there is any mention of this fee is on the front page of their site if you scroll all the way to the bottom, past all of their menu buttons, and in fine print. I guess that's their way of slipping it past people.

Since they have a retail site on the internet that the only way you can order off of is credit cards, then all their prices should have this 3% rolled in.

I called in a minute ago and tried arguing with Magnus, but he was adamant about it.

I guess they've lost my business. I told him if I had known about it, I would not have ordered from them, as that put their price over what the next lowest priced competitor, AIM Surplus had the ammo listed at. All he said was, "I'm sorry."

They got my money, so they don't care. I guess that $6 was worth any future orders I might have placed with them.

Very deceptive business practices
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
cancel the order and file a complaint with your credit card company.

if they won't cancel the order, dispute the charge.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Armed Ferret said:
cancel the order and file a complaint with your credit card company.

if they won't cancel the order, dispute the charge.
Well, I used my bank card (the credit side of my debit card), as I do not have any actual credit cards, and the money has already been deducted from my account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
BlenderWizard said:
Do yourself a favor and don't order from these clowns. They have a 3% fee for using a credit card if you order off the internet, but the only way you can order off the internet is to use a credit card.
Deceptive? This is a pretty standard practice in the firearm arena.
Look around gunbroker and other vendors.
It sucks, but theres not much you can do. :neutral:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Actually, it hasn't been done in any other business for at least twenty years! There is no reason why we as consumers should have to pay their business costs. Should we have to pay a fee for their phone bill if we call in an order? Should we have to pay the rent or tax on their property if we buy in person? No - so why do we have to pay their VISA bill? That's part of the overhead cost of any business, especially one who operates strictly mail order or internet.

There may be plenty of gun dealers who still deal this way, but there are certainly plenty who don't. Give your business to those vendors and eventually vendors like these will either get with the program or go the way of the dodo.

Besides, Centerfire is not a particularly good vendor in any respect in my experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Despite others problems with them i havent ever had a single problem with them. Many vendors charge a cc fee check out the ak ser if you want to buy it using a credit its gonna cost you more money....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,743 Posts
i dont order shit from them over the net. ill drive there and pick it up since i only live a few miles away. i want to see what im getting because they will give you some crap.

i saw they had amd grips on there site so i drove there to look at them and they were terrible!!!! they looked like they had been through a blender. i was saying to myself, i feel sorry for some poor bastard that will order these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,359 Posts
skrilla said:
i saw they had amd grips on there site so i drove there to look at them and they were terrible!!!! they looked like they had been through a blender. i was saying to myself, i feel sorry for some poor bastard that will order these.
...that would be me, and now I don't know what to do with them. I knew there was no hardware, but I thought I'd get the plastic bottom as technically, that's part of the 'grip' (right? or am I crazy?)

imo, over the years they went from being top notch, to crap to being spotty. In the last cppl years I've gotten some good stuff, and some AMD grips and etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,743 Posts
SA58 said:
skrilla said:
i saw they had amd grips on there site so i drove there to look at them and they were terrible!!!! they looked like they had been through a blender. i was saying to myself, i feel sorry for some poor bastard that will order these.
...that would be me, and now I don't know what to do with them. I knew there was no hardware, but I thought I'd get the plastic bottom as technically, that's part of the 'grip' (right? or am I crazy?)

imo, over the years they went from being top notch, to crap to being spotty. In the last cppl years I've gotten some good stuff, and some AMD grips and etc.
thats why i went to get the plastic caps, i told the guy that before he went back to get them and he handed me grips with no caps. i said i want grips with the caps and he said we dont have any with caps. waste of my time.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gonzo_Beyondo said:
BlenderWizard said:
Do yourself a favor and don't order from these clowns. They have a 3% fee for using a credit card if you order off the internet, but the only way you can order off the internet is to use a credit card.
Deceptive? This is a pretty standard practice in the firearm arena.
Look around gunbroker and other vendors.
It sucks, but theres not much you can do. :neutral:
Yep, it's deceptive. Not putting any type of notification except in an area where people are unlikely to look, and in fine print is deceptive.

Any and all fees/charges should have been shown on the checkout page.

Their 3% CC fee should be on every page at the top so it is not overlooked. i mean, how hard is it to copy and paste "3% added to all CC orders" when typing the HTML code out?

That, and as I said, CC payment is your only option when ordering from them online, so why is it not included in the price?

I will not do business with anyone who charges extra for using a CC, unless it something I need and NOBODY else has one. It is part of doing business nowadays. If I had known they did that, I would have ordered elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,284 Posts
So know I have read this thread...and am wondering WHAT DID YOU ORDER BlenderWizard??? I not only like to drool over AK pics but also like to drool when I hear what other parts members are scoring...LOL..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brownstown said:
So know I have read this thread...and am wondering WHAT DID YOU ORDER BlenderWizard??? I not only like to drool over AK pics but also like to drool when I hear what other parts members are scoring...LOL..
1000 rds of 7.62x39
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Of course business costs are included in the price of their goods. They wouldn't last long if they were selling at a loss. Why would think you are only paying their cost on the goods they sell? They have employees, rent, utilities and so on. They certainly have the right to make a profit. You're helping to pay those expenses too when you buy. It's call a free market economy. Centerfire is a least revealing that, even if it's small print. I'm more than willing to bet other companies do the same, but don't disclose it and wrap it up in the price of their stuff.

If you want to order off the internet without the 3%, call them and see if they would agree to a certified check or money order.

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
BlenderWizard said:
Yep, it's deceptive. Not putting any type of notification except in an area where people are unlikely to look, and in fine print is deceptive.
But you know whats funny?
For as well as they "hide" it, according to you...

I have, from the very beginning, known about that practice of theirs.
I see that notice several times in both their print catalog, and their website.

In fact, at their link titled, in bold, "Important things you should know"
All of their terms are laid out, including that one.

You don't read the terms of people you do business with?
Great way to get yourself fucked over, in my opinion.



Just be honest, you didn't pay attention.
I don't like that policy anymore than you do...
However, calling them deceptive over this is going too far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Exothermia said:
Actually, it hasn't been done in any other business for at least twenty years! There is no reason why we as consumers should have to pay their business costs. Should we have to pay a fee for their phone bill if we call in an order? Should we have to pay the rent or tax on their property if we buy in person? No - so why do we have to pay their VISA bill? That's part of the overhead cost of any business, especially one who operates strictly mail order or internet.

There may be plenty of gun dealers who still deal this way, but there are certainly plenty who don't. Give your business to those vendors and eventually vendors like these will either get with the program or go the way of the dodo.

Besides, Centerfire is not a particularly good vendor in any respect in my experience.
I definitely agree with you on all counts there.

They are quite hit and miss for a vendor, and the only saving grace is Magnus, who does seem to try his best.


I was pretty surprised when I first went to gunbroker and saw all these people surcharging on credit cards... but it is the standard practice.



I do try to avoid it, but sometimes you just can't..
and $6 on a $200 order...
is less than the $8 admission going to a gunshow will cost me next month.
Not to mention gas, and time,

[rant]and the odds greatly stacked against me for finding anything I want, especially what I need, and almost certainly won't have it for a fair, much less reasonable price.[/rant]

In other words, really... its a small price to pay. :mrgreen:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brownstown said:
So know I have read this thread...and am wondering WHAT DID YOU ORDER BlenderWizard??? I not only like to drool over AK pics but also like to drool when I hear what other parts members are scoring...LOL..
1000 rds of 7.62x39
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gonzo_Beyondo said:
BlenderWizard said:
Yep, it's deceptive. Not putting any type of notification except in an area where people are unlikely to look, and in fine print is deceptive.
But you know whats funny?
For as well as they "hide" it, according to you...

I have, from the very beginning, known about that practice of theirs.
I see that notice several times in both their print catalog, and their website.

In fact, at their link titled, in bold, "Important things you should know"
All of their terms are laid out, including that one.

You don't read the terms of people you do business with?
Great way to get yourself fucked over, in my opinion.



Just be honest, you didn't pay attention.
I don't like that policy anymore than you do...
However, calling them deceptive over this is going too far.
So, it's ok for them to hide charges? Because that's what they did; I never found out about it until I looked at my bank statement that showed where their charge hit, and it was $6 or so higher than it should have been.

No, I paid attention alright, to a reasonable degree, but you should not have to do research to find out what you are getting charged and why. Everywhere else I have shopped with gives you a grand total and emails you an invoice. Centerfire did neither.

This is my first and last order with them, and this is a deceptive business practice regardless of what you might think.

And, of course, the link you mentioned is right under their CC upcharge notice.

But let me ask you this: why else would they reduce the font and put that at the bottom of only the front page of the store, not include it in the checkout, and make no mention of it in the subsequent emails, unless they were trying to slip it past you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
It's disclosed on their Info page under the heading of "Important Things You Should Know"

"Our everyday prices reflect a 3% cash savings not available on credit card orders."

It's not hidden, but a bullet point in a list of.....Important Things You Should Know. I just don't think it's deceptive, sorry BlenderWizard.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top