AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been discussed already. I'm interested in a good CB radio for my truck (pickup) that would also be my BOV. I've done a little research and there seems to be alot of choices but even the higher end stuff doesn't seem too out of control price wise. Seems like a valuable piece of equipment in a SHTF situation. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would suggest you consider a 2 meter ham radio. You have to get a license but now it's pretty easy to pass the Tech test.

CB is a real mess with lots of interference.

Gary

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've driven a semi for the last 19 years. Get a Uniden Pro520XL. It's all the radio you will need for CB and none of it that you don't. They are inexpensive, coming in at $50 or less online. They are compact and light, so they are easy to fit and install in a vehicle. They are probably the most reliable radion on the market. They will take an amazing amount of abuse, virbration, etc. and keep working.

The most important thing about a CB on a vehicle is the antenna set-up. If you do that right, you have it made. You don't need a megawatt, nuclear reactor powered CB radio. You need a good, clear, strong radio, that is inexpensive and rugged with a good cable and a good antenna.

2-meter will out perform the CB in everyway, except talk to other people with a CB. I've never seen a 2-meter in a truck or police car, and I talk to both on the road regularly with the CB about road conditions, traffic jams, detours, accidents, etc. As a radio, CB frankly sucks compared to 2-meter, but it does give you options. Given the inexpensive nature of a CB, there's really no good reason not to have one in addition to a 2-meter.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Look up a ranger 2950 it is a ham radio that you can have the 40 CB channels programmed in to. They also have a 150watt kicker built in to it. It is the best raido I have found for SHTF and it is what I run in my rig, but it is a little pricey around $300.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice. I was thinking if I got into HAM then I would probably go with a base setup. I'm thinking I will stay W/something basic(CB) in my truck.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'd go with both in the truck if it's your BOV. Cost and time would probably have me going with a CB at first, then getting the license and putting a 2-meter in there along with a scanner. Add an XM radio if you don't already have one and you'd have a pretty good suite for staying informed on the move.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Heck, I have several 2m handhelds, you can get them as cheap as fifty bucks these days. The VEC in my area gives the tests for free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts