AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go easy on me; my post count is low according to Leviathan. Saw a total of 12 threads on Catamount, and most a bit moldy according to him. So I'll wade into the Sino-aficionado Forum to see if it picks up.

Got a Catamount Fury 1 (that bastard) a few months ago. After some world travel, I got a chance to wring it out at an indoor range (it's a rainy month in GA, if you know the song). SO, I'll share again the perspectives I gained hanging out with it and taking it apart, making ready for a conversion.

First impressions:
  • Long, really long: that 20" barrel will lose 2" quickly. Warm up the reamer.
  • Well-made, relatively: the fit of the furniture to the receiver was VG, there are edges to the sheet metal but they are not raw or jagged. Even the rails have not cut me, only scuffed me when I did some quick work with a modified Bolt Carrier handle.
  • The sights are entirely inadequate for even precision shotgun attempts
  • The finish is even, although it might be just crinkle paint in a few places.
  • The furniture isn't pretty, but seems well made. The LOP is right for the rear-set trigger on this.
  • The receiver seems well-fashioned. I didn't measure the thickness. Anyone else do so? Is it 1mm, or more?
  • The trigger, though a real snake-pit, works smoothly and without too much creep.
  • The magazines are neither fish (Saiga) nor fowl (VEPR), but based on what many here say, they approximate the Saiga (rock-n-lock) more than anything else. The Fury 2 mags seem more VEPR like, but I own no other AK-style shotgun for comparison.
  • All the magazines (I got 5 with the gun) load smoothly and clear smoothly. They lock in very tightly- this is not a speed loader (I'll have to see how fast I can shoot 25 rounds out of my Scattergun Tech 1100 and the Fury 1 in a side-by-side shoot-off).

Shooting- all done indoors during the 2015 Central Georgia Monsoon, and lighting only let me shoot at 20 yards
  • The FCG is surprisingly smooth
  • it groups tightly. Using 2 different sets of slugs (Royal Star and Brenneke), and varying the 2-point regulator for testing, I shot 20 rounds into a hand-sized group, standing/unsupported. Stringing vertical is ammunition, gas changes, and breathing control, but not the gun's inherent problem I opine. I'll try 100y when we can surface down here in GA.
  • The BHO functions correctly when the regulator and ammo combination is set right.
  • The gun will FTE all low-recoil or otherwise low energy (light shot) rounds. I have some special purpose mil ammo that is 1 ball short and it functions fine, but it is loaded up at 1600 fps per the data card. I have not chrono'd that round. On conventional high brass #6 and higher, it functions fine.

Conversion- I'm getting bits to convert it to a more handy form:
  • CSS FCG and trigger guard to allow use of common AR-style grips
  • CSS 4-way adjustable gas plug, puck, and front recoil spring
  • JT Engineering performance guide rod (sic)
  • CSS/ACE AR buffer tube pig nose
  • MagPul AR stock (CTR or MOE?)
  • CSS receiver block adapter for the pig nose
  • Krebs trigger pin retaining plate
  • Gunsmith will get creative with the sights. Since the dust cover has a rail, I could use some adjustment on the stock and use MagpPul MBUS, or other lower-profile sights (HK?) based on how much height adjustment I can really get out of the system. I have an old Scattergun Technologies foresight that might look well and function mounted to the gas block

SO here is what it looks like now:
Fury 12g lying around.jpg

Fury 20y slugs.jpg

Yeah, I know: it's not a Saiga or VEPR. I'll just have to suffer. But does anyone have side-by-side close ups of the dimensional differences between the two? Length between trunnion and gas block for example. Although most of the HG rail systems I've seem are just too busy, someday it'd be nice to know which (Saiga or VEPR) might be a source for options, like the Zenit.

TIA. I look forward to learning from you guys and gals.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Go easy on me; my post count is low according to Leviathan. Saw a total of 12 threads on Catamount, and most a bit moldy according to him.
Dude your 2 for 2 in your threads in sounding like a jerk. Either get outa here with that sarcastic bullshit or be cool. this is probably the forum with the nicest people youll ever find.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
InTTruder, welcome to the forum.

This place runs differently than ARFCOM, Audi forums, and the others that you are on so please don't upset the membership. We welcome you to join in on the discussions but please remember to show the same respect that you would want shown to you.

As for the shotty, any plans to convert it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
22many- good advice. I don't seek to do any more than participate, and learn.

Here's the update-
Fury LS mods.jpg
Carolina Shooter Supply provided most of the kit. And the buttstock awaits a Magpul ACS.

Fury LS Mods v2.jpg
Some contrast-

The last step is sights, mounted to the rail.
Chaos HK sights.jpg

Surprisingly reliable and easy to shoot. I have several 5x magazines, and even before getting an adjustable gas plug it shot nearly everything (except low-brass shot). I'll test a 10x magazine when I acquire it. I've decided not to convert to Saiga magazines, as that negates any OEM magazines that came with the gun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
OMG Arfcom, I am actually glad I got kicked from that place, the mods and owner were nothing but jerks, of the worst kind.

Just wondering, did you need all the performance upgrades to make this reliable, seems like a ton of aftermarket money when you can get a Saiga already converted for 900 or so.

And, what about mags? Have you found anything to let these use a Saiga mag?

I considered one strictly to do a SBS for demo use, but the proprietary mags, are leading me to do a Saiga, just so guys can use 20 round drums to prove their manliness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OMG Arfcom, I am actually glad I got kicked from that place, the mods and owner were nothing but jerks, of the worst kind.

Just wondering, did you need all the performance upgrades to make this reliable, seems like a ton of aftermarket money when you can get a Saiga already converted for 900 or so.

And, what about mags? Have you found anything to let these use a Saiga mag?

I considered one strictly to do a SBS for demo use, but the proprietary mags, are leading me to do a Saiga, just so guys can use 20 round drums to prove their manliness.

LOLZ- I've managed to survive ARFCOM but my post count is low, and usually about AKs or FALs. I've stayed below the radar there.

The Fury was fully reliable out of the box EXCEPT with low velocity, low brass, light shot. I fired a total of fifty rounds before starting the conversion, and all the #8 shot fired and extracted/ejected, but did not pick up the next round. BB, buckshot (I like #4 and 00) worked just fine before the mods. The puck and piston were dual purpose: 922r and extending the reliability IF the gas was in-fact adjustable. I focused on the conversion initially: the FCG/TG/external stuff. But having the receiver opened up, it was like the 6 million dollar man. So I bought the springs, guide, and other internal goodies because I could, not because I knew of a real need.

I chose not to convert to Saiga mags. CSS does has a very inexpensive, simple, and easy conversion: about 20min of work, one small metal plate (goes into the front of the magwell), and one small machine screw. But I already have five of the 5x and two of the 10x Fury mags. The conversion makes it Saiga-only, and getting seven hi-cap Saiga mags is tricky and even more expensive. I frankly found the 20x mag/drum a distraction, and not really practical at all. But then I like an M79 and M203 grenade launcher instead of that new-fangled rotary thing the Infantry Board deployed a few years back!

So essentially for way less (Gunbroker Saigas are starting at >$1200 with just a quad rail and PG conversion), I had fun experimenting. I also spend a good bit of time in China, so the opportunity to see if they make a decent "donor" was part of my motivation. I will not SBS at this time though.

I just saw a full Saiga conversion (my words) and it is asking $2000!
Saiga 12 Converted HK Sights 19" barrel Tri-Rail : Semi Auto Shotguns at GunBroker.com

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
That's the killer of GB. People can ask whatever price they want and run it for a long as they want with no consequences. So what you get is overpriced junk.

I will say though, the prices of scatterguns have went to crazy prices the last 5-10 years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the killer of GB. People can ask whatever price they want and run it for a long as they want with no consequences. So what you get is overpriced junk.

I will say though, the prices of scatterguns have went to crazy prices the last 5-10 years.
GunsAmerica has NIB VEPRs (built on the RPK, right?) starting at $770. One 5x magazine, and no rails or accessories. Pretty plain, and I admit I haven't warmed up to that dogleg stock setup. 'Murica. Pay to play!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got one of these and after a spring and adjusting gas plug from CSS the only thing it cycles without stove piping is buck shot. Sometimes the bolt wont even go all the way home. I would like to work out the quirks and maybe try Saiga mags to see if it runs better with those. For 365.00 I will do some work and figure it out since I'm not real big on shot guns and can't see myself paying 700+ for a Vepr.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got one of these and after a spring and adjusting gas plug from CSS the only thing it cycles without stove piping is buck shot. Sometimes the bolt wont even go all the way home. I would like to work out the quirks and maybe try Saiga mags to see if it runs better with those. For 365.00 I will do some work and figure it out since I'm not real big on shot guns and can't see myself paying 700+ for a Vepr.
I've seen articles where the user removed the gas block and aligned the GB port to the barrel port, or enlarged the port(s) to get a little extra gas flow. Even Saigas had this problem-
Gas port enlargement- FTE solved - Saiga-12 - forum.Saiga-12.com

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
If i recall the saigas has so much of a problem that certain ammo wouldn't cycle through it. The aftermarket adjustable gas blocks helped solve that problem but I guess not in all of them. Thanks for for the link inTTruder.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a brand new Saiga, that wouldn't function, the gas block was so canted, the piston was dragging along gas tube, and leaving marks on the piston.

I had to unpin it, when I got into the gas block half the holes were covered, some DREMEL TIME, enlarging the opening, re pinning it back to straight, and ti runs with no problem.

My OLD Saiga, and my OLD 410 Saiga, have all worked wonderfully, so does my VEPR 12, even with cheap bird shot, and so does the new one, after corrections.

Vodka, or, whatever the chicoms drink, special I guess.

·
Registered
82 Posts
GunsAmerica has NIB VEPRs (built on the RPK, right?) starting at $770. One 5x magazine, and no rails or accessories. Pretty plain, and I admit I haven't warmed up to that dogleg stock setup. 'Murica. Pay to play!
Yes, I believe they do have the heavy front trunions, I don't know about the receiver thickness.

That said, I have never had issues with my Saigas, so, was it a fix for a problem, or did they just use what tooling they had for the RPK parts? I dunno.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts