AK Rifles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two AKs built up by a reputable gunsmith on Global Recievers with unissued condition Romy kits. One of them works fine, throws empty casings about 15 feet from the gun. The other one, however has a wierd problem that neither I or the gunsmith had ever seen before. If you fire a string of rounds, the first casing will start out about 10 feet from the gun, and as you fire the casings start dropping closer and closer to the gun until the finally are just "hopping" out the the ejection port, many of which get hit by the charging handle and/or don't even clear the action.

In general, the ejection is very erratic and seems to be somewhat underpowered.

The gun has been cleaned scrupulously, and the gas block is definitely on straight. The headspace is snug, but is within spec. The recoil spring seems fine.

The only thing the gunsmith could think of offhand was possibly a gas port that was jammed or clogged somehow, possibly with a burr or that the hole wasn't drilled all the way completely through into the chamber.

If anyone can shed some light on the problem I would definitely be in debt to you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How does the carrier ride in the rails? If they are a little tight, this can happen.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If no joy from the above you could check the ejector. Long enough to hit the case head early enough to get it tumbled out the dust cover port? Have a Saiga 308 that was a lazy ejector with brass cases, I took off a little metal from the rear of the dust cover ejection port. There is now a small gap when the safety is on but the cases get clear. I don't offer such butchery as a fix though.

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, forgot the check this thread. The carrier rides fine in the rails. The brass is not hitting the inside of the dust cover, it shots out at the proper angle, but rather simply does not have enough energy to go very far. The one casing it "swallowed" actually cleared the ejection port but got nailed by the charging handle going forward and knocked back in to the weapon. A million to one shot, but it is obvious the weapon has some issues.

The gun was checked again for headspace and it turns out it is on the very, very tight end of in-spec. The gunsmith is going to go lap the lugs ever so slightly to open it up a little and smooth out the rails. I will memtion the ejector spring too, maybe it is just a bum one despite the fact it is obviously an "unissued" kit.

He said if he can't get it to run right he will rebuild the gun with a different kit free of charge.

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*sigh*

The gunsmith lapped the bolt to open up the headspace a little...no luck.

He has talked to every AK gunsmith he knows, and none of them can think of any other causes (extractor sprig checks out, rails check out, headspace checks out...) The only other thing anyone can think of is maybe the GT reciever is warped or out of spec somehow that isn't obvious.

He is pressing off the gas block to see if the hole is improperly sized or blocked with a burr. After that, it looks like a new front end and bolt/bc are getting attached to the recevier, adn the current one (which was a "unissed one...aargh!) is getting thrown in the spaare parts bin...

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*sigh*

This is just me ranting.

Fucking $375 of pot metal....been at the shop for 4 weeks and they can't seem to make the problem go away, nor have they offered any other solution. I might as well have spent the money on a Goddamn AR upper :mad:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm thinking that you have an ammunition or chamber problem. A year back I got a case of Wolf 5.45 that was out of spec. The necks were too long. The gun would shoot fine until it got hot, and then the ejection would slow and eventually the case would not extract at all. Same thing would happen with some Silver Bear when the nickel casings got a little corroded. I polished the chamber and changed ammo and haven't had a problem since.

Try changing ammo lots and polishing your chamber with some polishing compound. That should fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the gunsmith finally got frustrated himself, and took the front end, bolt, and bolt carrier of my kit off the receiver and mounted another unissued grade front end/bolt/bolt carrier on the receiver just to see what would happen.

The result? The 'new' rifle fired completely fine, throwing brass 8-10 feet from the rifle consistently.

He said to stop by the shop, test fire it as much as I want to make sure I was satisfied, and if I was OK with everything to simply trade him one of my kits for the one he used (and I get back the original kit).

Although I wish he would have asked me before using one of his kits, I know he got his unissued kits from Bocefus just like me so it ends up being a straight swap. And I didn't get charged a dime for the work, so I guess the price was right. And I can't really fault the gunsmith if the kit itself had a probelm. Hell, as long as I have a reliable, functioning rifle I am happy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Dawg if you headspace is very tight the heat from the chamber is transferring to the trunion. This with the slight expansion of the dimension of the barrel is giving you even a tighter headspacing as you shoot it. See it alot in FA builds that lockup on the tight side. take .002 off the back of the bolt lugs and radius the the angle on the lockup lug that rotates so there are no sharp edges. If this helps and it will but still slows down take off another .001 When you have it to where it slows just a bit slop on some 400 Grit Lapping Compound and burn a dozen or so 30 Rounders. Clean it up and you should be rid of your headache. :beer:

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John,

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it appears the same issue is starting to crop up again with this gun...I am starting to think the receiver itself is suspect, as what are the chances that 2 front ends woudl have the same problem?

I am just about at the point where I am thinking of tearing the kit off the receiver and rebuidling it on a Nodakspud...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts