AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just resized some brass from my PSL which had a dent in them from the shoulder to the body, about the length of a small staple. Upon sizing the dent actually got a bit worse, and is shaped like a kite. Is it safe to reload these? Or do I need to get a new bolt or extractor for my gun so it doesn't produce any denting if I want to reload it? IMG-20131002-00155.jpg

Dunno if you can tell from the pic, but it doesn't appear to be piercing into the brass at all, just a dent into it. I've reloaded .223 with a dent that's smaller than that. Apparently the majority of the dent's size came after the resizing, like I used too much lube, which those are said to be safe usually to shoot.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
You better just get use to that denting as it is the nature of the beast with the PSL and most AK action rifles. Part of the ejection cycle has the case bouncing off the inside radius of the top cover. Electrical tape on the top cover may help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So should I trust that to be good to reload then?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Dents like that are common to form after full case re-sizing. Depends on how deep and big the dent is to deem it safe to reload most minor ones come out when shot and are fire formed to your chamber. Those look like some hefty dents that may cause failure in the integrity of the case the brass has been stretched so much. If it were me i would not use them. I reload for my 308 and small dents in the shoulder are common but i havent seen one to extend any further. They would probably be fine to shoot once more but i wouldnt risk it just because it can be a pita to get a broken case out. May want to measure you overall case lenght for the amount of expansion you got there your case probably stretch quit a bit when resizing and will probably need to be trimmed to lenght.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
go to a local hardware store and get yourself some of that weather stripping- that stuff you that you put in between your door and hinge to or windows to keep cold air out in the winter time

they come in different thicknesses. peel off the stiky tape and cut to length of the dust cover where the spent brass flies out. The dents will be reduced by 70-80%. 7,62x54 brass is expensive, take care of it

Reactions: Hootbro
1 - 6 of 6 Posts