AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about moving to Canyon/Amarillo, TX Area. We spent a little time there over the last two week, and liked it a lot. Just wanted the area recon from some like minded people. Pluses, Minuses, good or bad. TIA
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
698 Posts
Can get really, really cold in the winter, really hot in the summer and the wind and dirt can blow 45mph for thirty days in a row in March. Ultra conservative, aged population. Great medical facilites in the area. Little crime, slow paced lifestyle, easy to live there.

I'm 200 miles south of there.

Actually, it's a flat, more crowded version of where you live. It actually rains more up there though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
Lots of dust, and wind farms, and Palo Duro Canyon, and more dust.
Typical treeless Texas Panhandle.
Go visit the nearby town of Hereford, Tx next time you are there...
Interesting smells...:shock:
Nice little west Texas town that has been growing.
More motels and restaurants than they used to have.
Being located on LLano Estacado, it does snow there on occasion.
Didn't look like too bad a place to live last time.
I passed through there in June.

If you can find a good job nearby, go for it!

KyAKGuy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
What is that old saying, "you can look farther and see less, than any other place in the world". Other than Palo Duro Canyon, its +200 miles to much in the way of oudoor recreational stuff. It is a great place to live, housing is inexpensive compared to other areas of the nation and people are very friendly.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,312 Posts
DragoonIX said:
Thinking about moving to Canyon/Amarillo, TX Area. We spent a little time there over the last two week, and liked it a lot. Just wanted the area recon from some like minded people. Pluses, Minuses, good or bad. TIA
I live in Amarillo only because of a high paying job. If you lived here all your life and do not know any better, then Amarillo is a fine place to be. Otherwise it sucks.

I equate the area to like being stuck on a island. your are 4-6 hours from any metropolitan area or other activities. After about 6 months of living here, you will literally have done everything that is to be done in this town.

Amarillo is just a big glorified truck stop. Every vagrant that hitchhikes east-west, winds up here passing through and the substance problems they bring.

Also, the area is small town in many respects. You better be a church going ring knocking Texas Tech or West Texas A&M grad to be getting any substantial job. Every body is watching you also. You can not swing a dead cat without hitting someone who knows you or knows somebody who knows you. So if you like the titty bars or grabbing the occasional porn video rental, someone you know will eventually find out.

Another thing I have noticed since moving here 4 years ago, is that you will have to get use to "special order" many items. Retail here is limited and what is here is "lite" versions of many retail stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
s70fan said:
Can get really, really cold in the winter, really hot in the summer and the wind and dirt can blow 45mph for thirty days in a row in March. Ultra conservative, aged population. Great medical facilites in the area. Little crime, slow paced lifestyle, easy to live there.

I'm 200 miles south of there.

Actually, it's a flat, more crowded version of where you live. It actually rains more up there though.
Interresting...I'm 200 miles south of there as well :smile:

Anyhow, what he said....it's mostly flat as far as the eyes can see. And there is a lot of farm land which really adds to the fun when the wind starts blowing.



This year the wind started blowing like mad back in January and we didn't see a break until around late July. Here is what it did to my pool more than a couple of times...it's usualy all blue :shock:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Hootbro said:
DragoonIX said:
Thinking about moving to Canyon/Amarillo, TX Area. We spent a little time there over the last two week, and liked it a lot. Just wanted the area recon from some like minded people. Pluses, Minuses, good or bad. TIA
I live in Amarillo only because of a high paying job. If you lived here all your life and do not know any better, then Amarillo is a fine place to be. Otherwise it sucks.

I equate the area to like being stuck on a island. your are 4-6 hours from any metropolitan area or other activities. After about 6 months of living here, you will literally have done everything that is to be done in this town.

Amarillo is just a big glorified truck stop. Every vagrant that hitchhikes east-west, winds up here passing through and the substance problems they bring.

Also, the area is small town in many respects. You better be a church going ring knocking Texas Tech or West Texas A&M grad to be getting any substantial job. Every body is watching you also. You can not swing a dead cat without hitting someone who knows you or knows somebody who knows you. So if you like the titty bars or grabbing the occasional porn video rental, someone you know will eventually find out.

Another thing I have noticed since moving here 4 years ago, is that you will have to get use to "special order" many items. Retail here is limited and what is here is "lite" versions of many retail stores.
I lived there for 15 years, and most of what he said is true. The only thing I got out of there was a wife. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
as a gift to me the usaf made me live in lubbock for 4 years, being from fl i thought i had seen weather changes, but never the sort i saw in the panhandle area... sunny hotest place in the nation one day, a duststorm, rain then snow all in 24 hours...man i dont miss it

on a plus side duck and goose hunting there was absolutly the best. people there are the type that are your friend for life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Hootbro said:
DragoonIX said:
Thinking about moving to Canyon/Amarillo, TX Area. We spent a little time there over the last two week, and liked it a lot. Just wanted the area recon from some like minded people. Pluses, Minuses, good or bad. TIA
I live in Amarillo only because of a high paying job. If you lived here all your life and do not know any better, then Amarillo is a fine place to be. Otherwise it sucks.

I equate the area to like being stuck on a island. your are 4-6 hours from any metropolitan area or other activities. After about 6 months of living here, you will literally have done everything that is to be done in this town.

Amarillo is just a big glorified truck stop. Every vagrant that hitchhikes east-west, winds up here passing through and the substance problems they bring.

Also, the area is small town in many respects. You better be a church going ring knocking Texas Tech or West Texas A&M grad to be getting any substantial job. Every body is watching you also. You can not swing a dead cat without hitting someone who knows you or knows somebody who knows you. So if you like the titty bars or grabbing the occasional porn video rental, someone you know will eventually find out.

Another thing I have noticed since moving here 4 years ago, is that you will have to get use to "special order" many items. Retail here is limited and what is here is "lite" versions of many retail stores.
You said a mouthful Hootbro..... :grin:

I moved here to Amarillo in 1990 transferring with my then job (now i work at a place about 15 miles east of town that 'glows' at night :lol: ).....wound up marrying a local girl ( just like USP45 did) and have been trapped here since. It is definitely a 'big' small town. There are alot of good people here but it is not the big city life....it is still the edge of the bible belt. There are alot of old family names around that control most of the city functions (politically and socially). It is fairly conservative/old fashioned and new ideas are slow to take on here. Radical and wildly liberal ideas seem to somehow disappear.

The remarks about the wind are not enough. I grew up in North Texas and thought I knew windy days, but it cannot compare to here. It seems like there are only about 20 days a year that the wind doesn't blow and they were always yesterday. Its high plains desert mostly...not alot of trees or hills. Cattle are everywhere. :dance: Canyon has almost become a suburb of Amarillo.....used to be the place where people moved to get away from the Amarillo transit life. Most of the money people are now trying to move west of Amarillo.

God and guns are the norm around here, but the guns ideas seem to be centered around a few old shotguns and Grandpas 30-30 (or whatever amazing special Gander Mountain is trying to pawn off as a good deal.) If you want to support any thing like an AK habit....use the internet

Its not the worst place on I-40 to live, but it has its issues, sad to say.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,312 Posts
swilson said:
You said a mouthful Hootbro..... :grin:

I moved here to Amarillo in 1990 transferring with my then job (now i work at a place about 15 miles east of town that 'glows' at night :lol: ).....wound up marrying a local girl ( just like USP45 did) and have been trapped here since. It is definitely a 'big' small town. There are alot of good people here but it is not the big city life....it is still the edge of the bible belt. There are alot of old family names around that control most of the city functions (politically and socially). It is fairly conservative/old fashioned and new ideas are slow to take on here. Radical and wildly liberal ideas seem to somehow disappear.

The remarks about the wind are not enough. I grew up in North Texas and thought I knew windy days, but it cannot compare to here. It seems like there are only about 20 days a year that the wind doesn't blow and they were always yesterday. Its high plains desert mostly...not alot of trees or hills. Cattle are everywhere. :dance: Canyon has almost become a suburb of Amarillo.....used to be the place where people moved to get away from the Amarillo transit life. Most of the money people are now trying to move west of Amarillo.

God and guns are the norm around here, but the guns ideas seem to be centered around a few old shotguns and Grandpas 30-30 (or whatever amazing special Gander Mountain is trying to pawn off as a good deal.) If you want to support any thing like an AK habit....use the internet

Its not the worst place on I-40 to live, but it has its issues, sad to say.
The rumor goes that the original settlers only intended to stop for one night to feed and water their horses. They said “will leave when the wind stops blowing”.

Hell, there is even a monument around here for the first tree planted in the Texas Panhandle. If you see a tree here, it is because someone planted it. Trees will not naturally take root here unless physically planted.

Nothing like the occasional whiff of cow shit in the air from the surrounding feedlots outside the city.

Schools are marginal at best with many threatened to be taken over by the state due to low test scores. I am a foster parent for the last two years and have taken in special needs kids (a lot of meth head babies in the area) of school age that have learning and speech difficulties. Every time I have gotten them tested for speech therapy, they do not qualify because the baseline for “normal” speech is based on the local area. So in other words, if everybody else talks like a hick and is slow, that is normal and the kid does not qualify for speech therapy. If we live in Dallas, Houston or San Antonio, they would be in special ed and in speech therapy. Just another reason of why it sucks here.

Another example I had was when I am sitting in a local Ford dealership getting some recall work done on my truck, I overheard this local yokel bitching about why the Ford “Amarillo Edition” F250 did not come in another color besides Yellow? I asked the guy if he lived in Amarillo all his life and he said “yes”. I then proceeded to tell him that did he realize that the word “Amarillo” was Spanish for “Yellow”. I get the big “Oh!” and the guy shut up.

The town is also very racially gerrymandered. When I moved here and was house hunting, the realtor I dealt with would very purposely steer me from areas that I felt were still nice but not of my racial makeup.

Still though, there are many nice people here that I have made good friends with. Problem is most actually taking pride in being ignorant and not in a hurry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
I have a lot of friends and family that live in Amarillo. Lived in the area for 18 years.

It is boring...very boring.

The weather isn't as bad as people make it, the wind sucks but other than that it is fine.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top