AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear sight leaf on my "G" kit is canted. Anyone bother straightening this out? Also noticed my buddy's WASR is the same way.

Thanks,
Barney

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The rear sight on the 78 non "G" kit I got from Apex is straight, so I guess not all Romanians are canted.
Just looking for some feedback whether I should leave as is or try to straighten it out and if anyone has had sucess doing so.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have come across atleast one of my kits in which the sight leaf was canted. I haven't really tried to do anything with it. I'll take some pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your talking about the rear sight leaf, and not the rear sight block? correct?

Yes, the block appears straight. Pivot holes seem to be the culprit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've seen this alot. There is a "carbide cutter" made by dremel that is the perfect size to fix this. Remove the leaf, and use the cutter to ream the holes a tiny bit , re instal the leaf and check for fit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
you can use a small rat tail file to adjust the leaf pin holes. adjust the leaf to center then file the pin hole that will allow the leaf to remain centered.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I have two with this issue, one Romanian and one Bulgarian.

I'd like to attempt to adjust this, but have hesitated so far to file on the RSB.
I can't decide exactly how or where to file.

I like to file the rear sight notch a little wider on most rifles. If the leaf is not straight a wider notch may allow the longitudinal groove's side wall to be visible in the notch when sighting the rifle.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I had one that was just being canted due to rough machinging burs holding the the sight at an odd angle. I removed the burrs with a small punch and the sight sat normal afterwards.

Any chance to post close up pictures, with the sight removed, showing each side of the base where the sight is attached?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having trouble removing the sight leaf. With the barrel assembly in the vise and the leaf flipped forward, I'm using a C clamp with a 3/8" allen wrench laying flat between the vertical pivots to compress the spring. Plenty of freeplay but can't get the sight leaf out. Do I need to compress the spring from the front and remove the leaf from its normal resting position? I like the way moondoggy used his drill press, but I'm not currently setup for that.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Yes, depress the spring from the front, even though there's not much to press on.

The leaf pulls off straight to the rear, but must be raised some to pull out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
easiest way to remove the sight leaf, it to use a drill press. Chuck up a thin bit, and with the drill off , use the bit to depress the spring.

To fix the sight, use the carbide bit, and ream both holes until they line up. Correct a little for an uneven ear on the actual ladder if neccessary.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Barney
As you stated you don't have a drill press.
Give this a try.
I have removed it with two people. Stand the sight up on end, and hold the rifle steady on your lap while seated. Have the other person with a flat tiped screw driver press down the high edge of the curved steel piece very hard. With the curved steel depressed you should be able to push the sight down and back to remove. :wink:

This has worked for me many times.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tangotag, that sounds like a good way to get stabbed in the crotch. Just kidding. :lol:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts