AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Yugo AK brand new a while ago and I havent got around to shooting it yet. I tried to take the receiver cover off and the recoil spring wont push in more than about 1/4" It is a century build. I dont really know what could be wrong with it. I tried hitting it with a punch once or twice but no luck.

Any ideas? Sending it back to century is not an option, ill cut the SOB off with a dremel before I do that :D

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Push the little button on the side!

The one toward the rear, it has a locking top cover.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
dont push the button, then the spring. push and hold the button in while pushing the spring in. :grin:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
catsailer40 said:
dont push the button, then the spring. push and hold the button in while pushing the spring in. :grin:
:goof: Thats what I meant!

T :wink:

·
Registered
446 Posts
what did i miss? is he demilling his own rifle? :grin:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Since you're a new Yugo owner...

While you're at it, before you take the top cover off, check to make sure that the safety lever doesn't skip over the top cover, quite a few century builds do that. It's easy to check and easy to fix.

move the selector lever to safe, until the lever hits the top cover. Pull up on it some more and just make sure it doesn't get past the ridge on the top cover.

if it does, remove the safety lever (instructions on this site) then bend it in a little bit on a vise. You don't need to get carried away with the bending. Next, take the cover and bend the outer lip out just a little bit. I used a pair of large snap-ring pliars and a few wood shims to do mine. We're not moving it that much here. Reinstall and check again.

If the safety is able to go up above the top cover, the tail on the inside will trip the trigger and fire the gun. That's a bad thing to have happen when you're putting the gun on safe.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
If it's an underfolder check the folding stock for loose or migrating pins in the folding mechanism.
You can peen the pins over on the ends if you need to prevent them from falling out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts