AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
That is a WW2 57mm anti tank gun. That is wrong so many ways. I own one. Mine is not retored yet, but I'm working on it.

1. You should not stand behind breech. The recoil on one of this is about 36"

2. It should not have gone off when he closed the breech. Had to have a frozen firing pin.

They are lucky it was not worse than it was.

·
Registered
57 Posts
drummerdude1188 said:
the thing that gets me the most is that those other guys just stand around and casually walk over to him
it looks like they are doing some type of ceremonial thing, how they are all at attention. Why was he standing right behind that beast when he closed it up???dang thats gotta hurt!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I knew there was a good reason I never shoot my recoilless rifle!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not a recoilless rifle, but an anti tank cannon. A recoil less rifle has a very large back blast area, you do not stand behind them when they fire.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
And that, boys and girls, is why redlegs are taught not to stand directly behind the breach when loading.

Good lesson for him,..................... if he lived.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My uncle is one of the Frozen Chosen from the Choisen Reservoir Korea, he tells a story about a Marine that was captured with the rest a few of the crew of an Ontos eight tube recoiless rifle that was track propelled. The North Koreans had never seen anything like it and were very curious about how it worked and demanded to be shown, the first Marine denied them and was promptly shot on the spot, the second Marine followed suit and was also shot, the third Marine finally agreed to show them how it worked but they had to be very careful as it was a dangerous weapon. He loaded all eight tubes and had them stand behind the thing when he salvoed all eight, if I remember correctly he was given the Navy Cross, posthuoumusly of course.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Fearless 51 said:
My uncle is one of the Frozen Chosen from the Choisen Reservoir Korea, he tells a story about a Marine that was captured with the rest a few of the crew of an Ontos eight tube recoiless rifle that was track propelled. The North Koreans had never seen anything like it and were very curious about how it worked and demanded to be shown, the first Marine denied them and was promptly shot on the spot, the second Marine followed suit and was also shot, the third Marine finally agreed to show them how it worked but they had to be very careful as it was a dangerous weapon. He loaded all eight tubes and had them stand behind the thing when he salvoed all eight, if I remember correctly he was given the Navy Cross, posthuoumusly of course.
Great story but the Ontos M50 didn't come out untill the mid 1950's IIRC.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I knew something was wrong by the way he was slapping at it. He seemed scared of it. Wonder if the casing hit him too as I noticed it was spat in his direction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts