AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wanted to have a complete spare bolt for an AK, could you have two bolts headspaced for the same rifle and then alternate their use when you go to the range ie. use one this week and the other one next week? Just curious if this can be done.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
You could easily find two bolts that work. Do you have the gauges.

I would guess that that, for example, on a polish kit, 50% of polish bolts would be acceptable head space. It might be even more.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
They should be able to swap 99% of the time! Come on its an AK man!

T :wink:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Right now I have two bolts that work perfectly fine in the same rifle. One is east german and the other is bulgarian. I was a bit worried that they wouldnt head space so I got some gauges to check head space. They actually headspace slightly different but were both within regs. The gauges werent perfect so i checked with a live round also (I removed the firing pin). Both locked up nice

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
sarco had them for something like $30
do a search here and you will find the thread

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I figured it would be neat to have a spare bolt in a small kit with some other spare parts. :smile:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes , ............ It can be done.

I did it years ago when I was assembling a gun / parts / and ammo ,

For a stash for an emergency.

It's not as easy as it should be , but I got lucky and had access

to a dealer who let me poke though his inventory.

.......... CRASH28 .................................................

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
MidwayUSA and Brownells both have headspace gauges, and you can use your C&R discount.

my understanding is the gauges at Sarco are E. German ones, and the markings are a bit 'obtuse.' My personal recommendation is geta good set of Manson brand gauges (or Pacific Gauges, which is waht my 7.62x39 ones are) and be sure of what is GO and NOGO from the getgo.

The Pacific ones are nice as the GO has a big green stripe aroudn it and the NOGO has a big red strip around it. A little cheaper than the Manson gauges to boot.

If you need 5.45 gauges, order direct from Manson. Fast and reasonable shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts