AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys..I admit I'm somewhat of a noob on AK's, cut my teeth on multiple AR's over the years, but the AK bug had been calling..I have one AK, an Arsenal SGL31. Thats about my AK experience. I have a good buddy of mine who has fallen in love with a rifle I own..its a Springfield Armory M1a, custom stock and a Leupie 4-14 scope (I know its not an AK but bear with me.. :mrgreen: )anyway, he's been bugging me to sell it, which so far I've refused. He offered to maybe trade, so of course I ask what he is willing to do..He tells me he has a pre ban Yugo RPK. Said it has a milled receiver , club foot stock and said its an import from the 80's. Now I don't have any info on importer or exact model...I will have that info in a week..But I'm wondering what can anyone tell me what it might be?worth? All the pics I've seen of pre ban Yugo RPK's have a standard looking AK stocks, not the one you see on a real Russian RPK. Did they import RPK's with milled receivers?Stock type? When I get some more info I will update, trying to see if it would be a good trade..thanks guys for any info. Oh yeah it is 7.62x39..also has 4 75 rd drum mags with it..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I don't own a M1A but I've shot my buddies at 200 yards. Iron sights will do a good 4 inch groups at that distance. If you got a shooter, I wouldn't trade it. Yugo's are a dime a dozen these days with all the recent imports.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well no doubt my rifle shoots well.. Aren't recent imports built up on parts kits on after market receivers? If its a preban the receiver should be yugo also right?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
diving dave said:
Well no doubt my rifle shoots well.. Aren't recent imports built up on parts kits on after market receivers? If its a preban the receiver should be yugo also right?
The recent Yugo imports are factory built on new parts - including the receiver. They are every bit what made pre-bans exotic, minus the 922r (for rifles). If you look at their M92 and M85 krinkov pistols, those are 100% factory made. You wonder why they only thought of doing this now.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I agree with Miglan that the Yugo pre-bans imported in RPK configuration only had bulged-trunnion stamped receivers.

They were roughly equivalent to military M72B1s, except for a wooden PG, a bipod that was detachable, and semiauto operation of course.

No "clubfoot" buttstocks, which aren't even compatable with a Yugo receiver. Just the regular Yugo style butt found on the M70/72 line.

No telling what your friend has from his bizarre description, and he really needs to give you some photos or at least read to you what's stamped on the receiver before you make any kind of decision. Real Yugo Pre-bans are still very valuable to collectors, regardless of what's on the market now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks much for that input. Every pic I've seen of a preban yugo has a different stock and receiver ... I will update this when I get some pics and info...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that's not it... He's out of town on business so can't get me pics of the receiver.. I advised him what I found out here and checking around.. He still says its an early yugo import with a club foot stock and a full heavy barrel.. I'm more curious than ever now..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to sound like a broken record... Just spoke to him again and my bad, it's a stamped not milled receiver , with a carry handle... He's sending me pics when he gets back home and I'll post a few here ... Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Carry handle RPK sounds like an AES10B Romanian. $

Only Bulgaria ever made milled RPKs. $$

As you pointed out, Yugo RPKs don't use the club foot stock. Preban Yugos are worth a bit of cash. $$$

Mitchell Arms and Amercan Arms? imported them. If it is marked AK/AK 47/RPK it is worth more than one remarked M90.

The new imports in 7.62 don't have the slant receiver but the new 308 guns still do :chair:

Prebans (pre 89) are going to be the nicest.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
diving dave said:
Not to sound like a broken record... Just spoke to him again and my bad, it's a stamped not milled receiver , with a carry handle... He's sending me pics when he gets back home and I'll post a few here ... Thanks guys
As you know now all the pre89 "Preban" RPKs have a stamped and not milled reciever. Only Mitchell imported them and not American Arms. They will be marked either "AK-47" or "RPK-47" if they are a real pre89 gun. If they are electropenciled "M-90" they are a post 89, postban gun. The .308 (7.62x51) will have the carry handle, the 7.62x39 will not. Both use the standard Yugo buttstock. No clubfoot stocks on Yugos. As someone posted before both variants imported by Mitchell had the detachable bipod.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I know for sure what it is now... It is a aes10b ... Any estimates on the value of that, 5 drum mags, heap of 30 rounders and about 2k of wolf ammo???

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
diving dave said:
Well I know for sure what it is now... It is a aes10b ... Any estimates on the value of that, 5 drum mags, heap of 30 rounders and about 2k of wolf ammo???
Rifle~on gunbroker now for $750 with reserve up to $2000 collecting dust.

Drum mags can vary from not worth shit South Korean, Chinese 75rd $100-$150, Chinese (Bulgarian ((10)) marked recent import) $125-$200, Chinese 100rd $200-$300, Russian top loading $150-$250, Romanian top loading $75-$125, Romanian back loading $85-$140.

30rd rd mags can be Tapco crap worth nothing all the way up to pristine collectors mags. Too much to spell out.

I figure 7.62 is going for ~$250-$275 per K right now.

An AES10B is a far cry from a preban Yugo RPK.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Am i the only one sensing that perhaps your friend is pulling a fast one? I cant imagine anyone would patently lie and mislead you, unless he got screwed buying his AES-10B and passing his mistake to you. Something's off here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha, yeah well I know it's not delibrate... He's one of those " an AR is an AR, a AK is a AK" guy.. I think he's repeating what the monkey in the gun store told him.. Preban, etc...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts