AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that people get their SOT so they can legally make and play with machine guns. I have heard from a class3 dealer that its not legal to do that. I just found this on the ATF website.

ATF Rul. 2002-5

Section 922(o) of Title 18, United States Code, makes it unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun, except a transfer to or by or under the authority of the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State or a department, agency, or political subdivision of; or any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun lawfully possessed before May 19, 1986.

The regulations in 27 CFR 179.105(d) provide that applications to register and transfer a machinegun manufactured or imported on or after
May 19, 1986, to dealers registered under the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53, will be approved if three conditions are met. The conditions required to be established include (1) a showing of the expected government customers who would require a demonstration of the weapon; (2) information as to the availability of the machinegun to fill subsequent orders; and (3) letters from government entities expressing a need for a particular model or interest in seeing a demonstration of a particular weapon. The regulation further provides that applications to transfer more than one machinegun of a particular model must also establish the dealer's need for the quantity of samples sought to be transferred.

The dealer sales sample regulation in section 179.105(d) is a narrow exception to the general prohibition on possession of post-1986 machineguns imposed by section 922(o). It requires that dealers submit letters of interest from law enforcement agencies to ensure that dealers possess post-1986 machineguns only for the purposes permitted by law, i.e., for sale or potential sale to government agencies.

Heres the link...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/rules/2002-5.htm

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Nope, can't make one just because they want it. They have to have someone with actual interest in buying, that can legally purchase it.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Nope, we can build any machinegun any time we want as a C2. A C3 has to have a letter to BUY one.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IN RANGE inc said:
Nope, we can build any machinegun any time we want as a C2. A C3 has to have a letter to BUY one.
Do you have to have a letter from a LE agency? What are the requirements to get a C2 and build full-auto stuff?

·
Registered
878 Posts
No, as a C2 you have paid the tax and are expected to make NFA weapons. You make them as part of your business, and as a Licensee and FFL holder are expected to do business. If you want a C2 just to make post 86 MGs, that is a quick way into trouble.

The biggest hurdle is zoning and having the right location. Otherwise it is not much different than getting an FFL. But remember, the main reason they grant you the SOT is to be engaged in legitimate business.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
So who can make me a reasonably priced post '86 full auto AKSU (milled) or an M92?

I'll get that letter to buy asap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts