AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys, I really need your help with this. I need to know if a SAR2s rail is a copy or resembles a Russian AK74 rail (one of their types)

·
Registered
182 Posts
huey_crew_chief said:
Guys, I really need your help with this. I need to know if a SAR2s rail is a copy or resembles a Russian AK74 rail (one of their types)
Huey ... I think the Romy is a copy of the early Russian rail ... Stottman will know as I'm sure someone else will also ...

What are you doing ???

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a A bulgy 74 with a SAR2 reciever that I am getting Russianized at inrange. I need to figure out whether or not to take off the rail, keep it or change it with a Russain copy. It has a real russian folder now. It is going to have a wood stock set and a side folder. :grin:

·
Registered
891 Posts
It depends on what year of AKS74 you are going for.

It you are going for an early 80's AKS74, the the Romy sideplate is as close as you're going to get, but the hole for the folding stock trunnion is in the wrong place.

If you are going for a late 80's AKS74 then you'll want one that looks more like those found on Saigas.

Didn't we already go through all this on arfcom? :smile:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike_F said:
It depends on what year of AKS74 you are going for.

It you are going for an early 80's AKS74, the the Romy sideplate is as close as you're going to get, but the hole for the folding stock trunnion is in the wrong place.

If you are going for a late 80's AKS74 then you'll want one that looks more like those found on Saigas.

Didn't we already go through all this on arfcom? :smile:
Maybe..not sure. But, I think that is what I wanted to know. I am going for an early AKS 74 from the Anfgan era. Troy says the Trunnion issue would be taken care of....but should I just get the think taken off?

·
Registered
891 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "early AKS74 from the Afghan era".

If you are going for an early 80's Russian AKS74 then that would be the appropriate time period for the Bulgarian AKS74 kits that are on the market. If you are using a Bulgarian AKS74 kit to build on your SAR2 receiver, then the SAR2 sideplate looks closest to a Russian sideplate from that period (except the rear hole is in the wrong place).

Now if you are going for a late 70's Russian AKS74, then there's a different sideplate that you would want. I don't think that you want to go for that time period because there's a bunch of stuff "wrong" with the Bulgy AKS74 kits if you are trying for a Soviet AKS74 from that time period.

Rifles from either of these time periods could be considered an "early" AKS74. So which one are you trying to build?

Clear as mud? :grin:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want mine to be an early 80s type, so I guess Im OK. I might just get the rail taken off. I just want it to look as authentic as possible

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xcibes said:
Hello Huey crew chief. No they are not the same although the Romanian is very similar. Theya re not the same because the Romanians use an AKM-style rear trunion and pin placement is different from real AK74 trunnions. So while it looks the same to most people, it is NOT identical.
Thanks for the imput, I am getting a side folder put on it now. Inrange is doing it. He told me the trunnion deal, but I said he could keep the existing rail on. I am thinking that it would be more authentic if I get it taken off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts