AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was to my understanding that all I need to do is switch out the follower for this to work?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sigh - it's a SAM5. Get Bulgy polymer 223 mags... about $30 to $35 at auction. You are welcome to try anything else - but those are the only mags the gun was designed to work with. It's the hidden cost of owning a SAM5.

I wish they had listened to me, and designed that fine rifle to function with Weigers.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have a few RPK mags I might use with it if I can, you know how much 5.56 45rd mags go for needless to say.

I've got no problem buying the bulgy mags, I just have a shit load of 74mags I was hoping to maybe use too.

And to be honest the only reason I bought the Arsenal was to suppress it eventually. AKs make some Ideal suppressed guns, the threading is a pain in the ass, but the guns are very sturdy and have little blowback when fired thanks to the dustcover.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The RPK mags will NOT work even with Robinson followers. I already tried it. The geometry of the mag itself don't work with the 223 round.

I was sucessful with a highly modifed 50 round Galil mag though. :grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
AK-74 magazine in a SA M-5

I recently test fired my new Arsenal SA M-5. One of the magazines that I used in it is a E. German baklite, which I bought for about $6 as part of a set, in which I installed a RobArms .223 follower which cost about $6 plus shipping. I only put two mags of Wolf 223 ammo through it, and everything worked fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two cheap Ak74 mags and Robinson .223 followers on order (saw a post somewhere that said it would work). I'll let you know when I try them out. Best bet is probably just keep looking for the real thing.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
You will have to modify the lips for the longer .223 shoulder when using the Robinson followers. I have a few and they work great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1 to what Bryant said. Just make the lips the same dimensions as the .223 waffle mags, and they work GREAT. Can we call these pancake mags since sides are smooth without the waffle ribs? :grin:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Trotsky said:
Sigh - it's a SAM5. Get Bulgy polymer 223 mags... about $30 to $35 at auction. You are welcome to try anything else - but those are the only mags the gun was designed to work with. It's the hidden cost of owning a SAM5.

I wish they had listened to me, and designed that fine rifle to function with Weigers.
Actually, they're available at K-VAR right now for $22.99 ea.

http://www.k-var.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts