AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching one of the those B movies with the aliens monsters. The people who were trapped used shotguns and handguns to defend themselves. Might as well been using spitballs. Anyway that got me to wondering is there is any animal out there that could survive a few point blank shotgun. Are giant tortoise shells tough enough? I would have no idea what kind of shot shell. You can speculate on what kind of shot would be most common in a sci-fi B movie

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Depending on the distance & type of shot used I'd say any of the larger African plains animal could. A good sized brown bear (grizzly).
Of course, a slug at a reasonable range would make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
People can survive damn near anything. I'd say the assumption with sci-fi movies that you just understand all shotgun shells are created equal, therfor, they use 00 bird shot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There was a rather famous case some time back in NYC where some dirtbag who was on Angel Dust absorbed some incredible number of shotgun rounds before "expiring." They really had a hell of a time stopping him. I'm sure it happens more frequently than we think.

·
Registered
83 Posts
phreakmode said:
People can survive damn near anything. I'd say the assumption with sci-fi movies that you just understand all shotgun shells are created equal, therfor, they use 00 bird shot.
I've never heard of 00 Birdshot. I think you mean to say 00 Buckshot. The largest caliber birdshot that I've encountered is FF, which is .23 caliber. Run of the mill 00 Buck is .33 caliber and contains about 484 grains of lead moving at about 1250 FPS. Tactical loads and shell length can alter these numbers.

Tests by the FBI, in conjunction with other agencies (which I participated in), actually determined that Number 1 Buckshot is a better antipersonnel load due to its greater sectional density. In other words, it has a better potential to cause more wound trauma (about a 20 to 30% increase in area damaged when compared to 00 buck). My agency switched to Number 1 Buckshot about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
21,881 Posts
PPD6576 said:
phreakmode said:
I've never heard of 00 Birdshot. I think you mean to say 00 Buckshot. The largest caliber birdshot that I've encountered is FF, which is .23 caliber. Run of the mill 00 Buck is .33 caliber and contains about 484 grains of lead moving at about 1250 FPS. Tactical loads and shell length can alter these numbers.

Tests by the FBI, in conjunction with other agencies (which I participated in), actually determined that Number 1 Buckshot is a better antipersonnel load due to its greater sectional density. In other words, it has a better potential to cause more wound trauma (about a 20 to 30% increase in area damaged when compared to 00 buck). My agency switched to Number 1 Buckshot about 10 years ago.
Never heard of number 1 buckshot..

Heh I think most action movies have all their shotguns loaded with "Zmax SUPER STOMP" rounds which cause bad guys to go flying backwards through the nearest wall or window.

Hell... The Punisher (the one with john travolta) in the beginning where the family was being chopped up by the bad guys... Frank and his dad load up some shotguns with clearly marked game loads... and yet when they fire at the thugs, its clearly 00 buckshot... and apparently its incindiary rounds too...because when Castle shoots the propane tank near the grill.. it explodes and engulfs the guy in flames.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Its a movie, make beleive, totally holywood... thus 00 birdshot :cool:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Depends on what planet they are from. :grin:

·
Registered
519 Posts
A good friend of mine that guided moose and bear hunts in Alaska always carried a 12g. riot gun, when he had to go into the brush after a shot animal or was in an area that he had high suspect there was one. He always loaded the first two with OObuck, the rest were Brenecke slugs. His experience was that the OObuck slowed the bear and almost always blinded it, giving him time to step to the side and finish off the poor bastard with the slugs. A big griz can live and continue to sort you out for a couple minutes with his heart completely shot out, head shots are tough because of the sloping skull, heavy calibers are needed to penetrate the heavily muscled chest area. In a charging situation it had proved best to blind and confuse the beast, step to the side and finish him off.
I also had a Nam buddy that was hit in the midsection by a heavy machine gun that were it not for his spine it would have cut him in half, he survived due to medi-vac and walks today.
At close range OObuck will put a hole in you that a beer pitcher can be passed through without getting the edges wet.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
This can...

I seen it happen in the movie!!!

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Maybe you should pack an elephant gun like that dude in Tremors

Thanks PPD for that info about 00 Buckshot, I've always had some for home defense but after reading a bit about it looking into what you said I might have to get some number 1 as well. I've heard 000 before but not No 1...

·
Registered
848 Posts
I remember reading about a guy in Australia i believe who committed suicide with bird shot took three shots and finally bled out. :sad:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
nalioth said:
10Gauge said:
Never heard of number 1 buckshot..
Live and learn. Buckshot on the bottom row.

A lot of folks are starting to recommend #4 Buck. 37 .24 caliber balls in each package.
I have been loading my defensive shotgun with #4 for years.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The first suicide I ever worked involved a gent that used a 12 ga loaded with a Federal Hi-Brass long range game load with #4 or #6 birdshot. He placed it under his chin. All I can say is at point blank range to the head with a full power load no matter what size shot is used your not going to survive....it will be closed casket funeral & start calling the sheet rock ,painters,and interior decorator people ASAP. In case your wondering NO it wasnt like a zombie movie exploded head.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I know what you mean gundoc. I've worked a few that used a shotgun. I've never seen anything as messy as a 12g to the head.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A pretty cool fella who comes in the shop on a regular basis was shot
three times with OO Buck. He was shot from about 15 yards in his face, chest and neck. It tore his chest and neck up pretty badly and took out an eye(he wears a glass eye).

He took off running after the first blast and caught a few more in the back trying to flee.He limps and suffers from constant complications and frequently visits the hospital. Although he seems pretty out of it most of the time,
he is up and about and lives a pretty normal life.

The human body can be quite the resilient beast sometimes. :neutral:

As for suck starting a 12 ga., can't do too much with no head.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts