AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can an AK chamber reamer be used without pulling the barrel? Reason I ask is because the rifle (AK in 5.45x39) is already built, but the BlueJack barrel has a small burr in it.

I know on an AR-15, chamber finish reamers can be held somewhat concentric to the bore / chamber by virtue of the cylindrical part of the upper receiver; however, I have personally never used any chamber reamers yet.

P.S. - shooting it has not helped & chamber needs to be reamed.

Thank you in advance, as always!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If that is a chrome lined barrel bit of a problem reaming it now. If not you could try a finish reamer but I do not know it it could be done with barrel in trunnion. Depending on burr location you may be better off trying to remove it with a polishing stone on a dremel. If you recut it with a chamber reamer your headspace will likely be changed and chroming (if a chromed barrel and I believe the bluejacks were chromed) will now be jacked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you can with a pull through reamer. PTG may have one for the 5.45. I use them all the time with my m14/garand builds

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
I'd be real tempted to use a cut to fit emery board and work the chamber until problem solved, maybe even while at a range. I would hate to see this turn
into a major repair when a few minutes of polishing would have removed the burr.

·
Registered
265 Posts
nail and beauty supply shops sell emery board or finger nail file stuff in 100 grit and up, its flat and could be cut to shape to get up in there

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for the replies. My understanding of how a finish reamer works is that the headspace won't be changed by it's use - is that correct?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Depends on the reamer used, some will change headspace some will just cut the throat to adjust the Lead (commonly used to open lead on NON CHROMED .223 chambered barrels to 5.56 specs.) so it depends on the reamer selected. Most finish reamers are used to put a final adjustment to headspace on "short chambered" barrels on fitment to the finished rifle. It also makes a difference with the specs of the original reamer used on the barrel. There is some variance with headspace gauge specs on 7.62 x 39 weapons and I would not be surprised if you find some variance with reamer specs.

If you use a full finish reamer to remove the burr you would just need to use a light touch and knock off the burr so such a reamer could be used carefully without changing headspace.

Where exactly location wise in this chamber Burr located? Is it on the shoulder, the throat, rear lip...

A question I poised and has not yet been answered is this a chromed barrel?? My understanding was that all Bluejack barrels except for the V1 version are chrome lined.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know someone who took a used piece of brass, drilled out the primer pocket so a cleaning rod would fit through, screwed on a crappy brush and pulled the case forward over the brush end and tightened it down so it wouldn't spin.....then just used lapping comp and a hand drill, since your barrel is in the receiver, I'd bet a longer cleaning rod would get you off the rear of the receiver, may have to remove the but stock

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Honestly, it is completely worth the trouble to get the barrel removed to resolve this issue. That is how you would properly resolve the issue. Do you want to half ass your SBR? Just saying....

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Thank you very much for the replies. My understanding of how a finish reamer works is that the headspace won't be changed by it's use - is that correct?
No! LOL. You are reaming the chamber, as in, directly changing the chamber dimension. Think about it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for the responses, guys!

I would really like to fix the problem correctly. The rifle is back at the builders for some other work right now, so I don't have access to it.

Barrel is a BlueJack v.5 in 5.45x39mm (for AKS-74U Krinkov). I honestly don't remember right off hand if it is chromed lined or not.

No! LOL. You are reaming the chamber, as in, directly changing the chamber dimension. Think about it.
My understanding is that a finish reamer would change the throat area + knock off any burrs in the chamber, but without changing the shoulder area (based on what I could find on the net - so far most results seem to pertain to correcting short chambers on .223 vs. 5.56 AR-15 barrels...). Obviously I still have a lot to learn!

I was partly going off what was posted in this thread here about other members having the same issue with their BlueJack barrels (see post # 31):
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/17...jack-v5-gb-posted-bluejack-3.html#post1632121

P.S. - the builder does not have a 5.45 chamber reamer at his disposal right now - this is part of the issue with getting this resolved - hope that also helps clear up why I am asking in here...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts