AK Rifles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easy question. The bolts look identical, and the carbine bolt feels fine in the rifle, but is it safe to use? Long story short my Mosin was stolen and then recovered a few months later, but it was in the elements the whole time and the bolt got ruined due to BAD rust. I restored most of the rifle but the bolt was unfixable. The mosin I restored as best I could, could probably pass as a Fair Grade, lol.

This is how the rifle was found.

This is it now.

· Banned
4,281 Posts
the same

bolts are the same, as well as all the other parts to it. the only difference between the 91/30 and the 44 is the barrel and stock.

the only concern is headspace. you need to have the headspace checked to make sure it's headspace is within specifications, before firing a round out of it. YANKEE HILL(?) sells the headspace disk, or if you can find a local gunsmiith that has those headspace disk, he can check the headspace for you. shouldn't cost you more then a few bucks for him to do that.

but honestly, you would be better of buying another 91/30 and use that one as spare parts.

you also might want to look at buying a safe.

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the rifle shoots okay tomorrow, I am gonna try to save the bolt. maybe down turn it, who knows. I know these rifles can be had for under $100 but it has a little sentimental value.

The story is, it was stolen on my Birthday last year in September by someone whom I thought was a friend. I filed the police report, so on so forth. Ruined a few "friend"ships and what not. It was found, in May, in my back yard next to my fence by the road, by my lawn maintenance dudes. It was in BAAAAD shape as you can see. I took it all apart that night, soaked it in a concoction of Solvents for two days and got to scrubbin. It is still pretty damn ugly as you can see. I have most of the Rust off, just some really hard to get still on there. So like I said, If she shoots good tomorrow, I am gonna take some sand paper to the hard rust and probably the whole gun. Re blue it and re finish the stock.

· Registered
3,095 Posts
SergeK said:
If the rifle shoots okay tomorrow, I am gonna try to save the bolt. maybe down turn it, who knows. I know these rifles can be had for under $100 but it has a little sentimental value.

The story is, it was stolen on my Birthday last year in September by someone whom I thought was a friend. I filed the police report, so on so forth. Ruined a few "friend"ships and what not. It was found, in May, in my back yard next to my fence by the road, by my lawn maintenance dudes. It was in BAAAAD shape as you can see. I took it all apart that night, soaked it in a concoction of Solvents for two days and got to scrubbin. It is still pretty damn ugly as you can see. I have most of the Rust off, just some really hard to get still on there. So like I said, If she shoots good tomorrow, I am gonna take some sand paper to the hard rust and probably the whole gun. Re blue it and re finish the stock.

Sounds good! A new bolt from any mosin will work as long as it headspaces. Make sure you get the hs checked if you use a new bolt as it is vital to your safety when shooting the rifle.

good luck
Andy

ps: that sucks about it getting stolen though. It's lucky to have you as a caring owner. Who knows the history behind that thing!!!

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andyman said:
ps: that sucks about it getting stolen though. It's lucky to have you as a caring owner. Who knows the history behind that thing!!!

Yeah i know. Just shows you can't trust anyone. Only two people knew of the exact location of the rifle, and one of them is my best friend and the other is a not so best friend.

Anyway, I can't afford a safe that big right now, so I am building one of my small walk in closets as a big safe/SHTF room. Gonna go look at a solid wood door and a keypad lock this weekend. For now all my gear is in a closet with a pistol lock on it :neutral:

BTW the Original bolt is still usable. From what I have read, I can swap over the original bolt face and it will be the same headspace. I cycled a live round through with both bolts and it felt fine, seated great, and ejected great.

· Super Moderator
26,820 Posts
As others have said, have the headspace checked by a Gunsmith if your going to swap bolts.

That being said, I"m with Caligula on this...you might consider parting the rifle out for parts, and buying a new one.
Its a real shame when shit like this happens. :sad:

· Registered
650 Posts
OK so general consensus is check headspace.

I agree.

Though I have owned and shot many w/o matching numbers.

Also, have swapped bol;ts and shot a few.

Never checked headspace. NOT RECOMMENDED.

But I will probably do it again MANY times. But then again...many people wont shoot other's reloads, or do alot of stuff I have tried.

Overall though, mosin bolt is an mosin bolt. Headspace would be a good safety check.
Which reminds me, I need to get some H.S. tools to check the AKs I have built too. I havent ever checked headspace in the traditional way....but hopefully it wont ever result in any injuries.

· Registered
3,095 Posts
nutinauniversalshell said:
OK so general consensus is check headspace.

I agree.

Though I have owned and shot many w/o matching numbers.

Also, have swapped bol;ts and shot a few.

Never checked headspace. NOT RECOMMENDED.

But I will probably do it again MANY times. But then again...many people wont shoot other's reloads, or do alot of stuff I have tried.

Overall though, mosin bolt is an mosin bolt. Headspace would be a good safety check.
Which reminds me, I need to get some H.S. tools to check the AKs I have built too. I havent ever checked headspace in the traditional way....but hopefully it wont ever result in any injuries.
Yeah, you might REALLY want to do that, seeing as shooting a rifle that doesn't headspace is about the most dangerous thing you can do when shooting short of pointing the rifle at someone and pulling the trigger. I am not trying to be an ass, just concerned for your safety..... Seriously-make sure the rifles headspace!

· Registered
70 Posts
If you would like, I would be glad to carefully glass bead any or all of it for you. It will look as close to new as possible except for a satin finish, ready to use or refinish as you see fit. CMD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.